This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5347 / 54°32'4"N
Longitude: -1.0489 / 1°2'56"W
OS Eastings: 461638
OS Northings: 515907
OS Grid: NZ616159
Mapcode National: GBR PJ30.P6
Mapcode Global: WHF8D.V8PZ
Entry Name: Garden Wall, 65 Metres to East of Priory Gardens Cottage
Listing Date: 25 April 1984
Last Amended: 13 December 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1139800
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59907
Location: Guisborough, Redcar and Cleveland, TS14
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Guisborough
Built-Up Area: Guisborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Guisborough St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: York
Former boundary wall to Gisborough Priory Gardens. Late-C17/early-C18 with mid-C19 alterations.
MATERIALS: dressed sandstone with stone copings.
PLAN: aligned west-south-west to east-north-east. The easternmost section turns east.
DESCRIPTION: the western section was obscured by foliage and was not visible at the time of inspection. The entrance incorporates curved reveals.
The lands belonging to the former Priory were first leased by Thomas Chaloner in 1547, who subsequently purchased them in 1550 for £998. It was not until the death of Edward Chaloner in 1680 that the family moved to the site. Edward’s son William constructed a mansion on Bow Street, known as Old Hall, and it was at this point that the gardens were developed. The standing stonework of the Priory was incorporated into the ornamental gardens to provide a setting to the Hall. Research into the gardens has identified three main phases; 1709, 1773-1805 and 1854.
The western section of this wall appears to have been in existence in 1709, surrounding an area of lawn and trees, however the relationship to the extant wall is not entirely clear. The materials do however suggest a late-C17 / early-C18 date. The current alignment is evident on plans of 1854, although a section which once ran south-east from the extant wall’s western end has been lost. The entrance lined up with a sinuous path and the eastern end terminated at the boundary of Island Pond during this period.
The late-C17/early-C18 garden wall 65m to the east of Priory Gardens Cottage is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic: as a built element of the designed landscape at Gisborough Priory Gardens
* Group value: for its association with numerous other listed structures and the scheduled Gisborough Priory ruins, which together provide physical evidence as to the story of an historically significant site with a great time depth
* Date: for its retention of pre-1840, most probably pre-1700, fabric
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings