This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5351 / 54°32'6"N
Longitude: -1.0489 / 1°2'55"W
OS Eastings: 461643
OS Northings: 515953
OS Grid: NZ616159
Mapcode National: GBR PJ30.Q2
Mapcode Global: WHF8D.V8QN
Entry Name: Garden Ornament, 70 Metres to North East of Priory Gardens Cottage
Listing Date: 25 April 1984
Last Amended: 13 December 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159335
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59908
Location: Guisborough, Redcar and Cleveland, TS14
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Guisborough
Built-Up Area: Guisborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Guisborough St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: York
Late-C17 pedestal to missing garden ornament.
DESCRIPTION: large pedestal with paterae and heavily moulded cornice.
The lands belonging to the former Priory were first leased by Thomas Chaloner in 1547, who subsequently purchased them in 1550 for £998. It was not until the death of Edward Chaloner in 1680 that the family moved to the site. Edward’s son William constructed a mansion on Bow Street, known as Old Hall, and it was at this point that the gardens were developed. The standing stonework of the Priory was incorporated into the ornamental gardens to provide a setting to the Hall. Research into the gardens has identified three main phases; 1709, 1773-1805 and 1854.
This pedestal has previously been identified as late C17 and may date to the first period of garden development. It was however reused, and possibly moved, in the early C20 to form the central feature of a rose garden created under Richard Chaloner. This was originally bounded by hexagonal box hedging, some of which may survive. The pedestal was formerly surmounted by a late-C18 octagonal stone vase, described in the 1984 list description as an ogee shaped bowl with everted rim; egg and dart moulding on ovolo rim; foliated calyx and bun foot. This was stolen sometime during the late C20.
The late-C17 garden ornament 70m to the north-east of Priory Gardens Cottage is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic: as a built element of the designed landscape at Gisborough Priory Gardens
* Group value: for its association with numerous other listed structures and the scheduled Gisborough Priory ruins, which together provide physical evidence as to the story of an historically significant site with a great time depth
* Date: for its retention of pre-1700 fabric
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings