History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bolckow Tombstones, Grave Cover and Kerb, Circa 24 Metres East of Chancel of Church of St Cuthbert

A Grade II Listed Building in Marton East, Middlesbrough

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5357 / 54°32'8"N

Longitude: -1.2055 / 1°12'19"W

OS Eastings: 451509

OS Northings: 515889

OS Grid: NZ515158

Mapcode National: GBR NH0Z.TV

Mapcode Global: WHD76.G867

Entry Name: Bolckow Tombstones, Grave Cover and Kerb, Circa 24 Metres East of Chancel of Church of St Cuthbert

Listing Date: 28 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 59793

Location: Middlesbrough, TS7

County: Middlesbrough

Electoral Ward/Division: Marton East

Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Marton-in-Cleveland St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Nunthorpe

Listing Text

MIDDLESBROUGH STOKESLEY ROAD,
NZ 51 NW (5115)
(west side), Marton.
4/81 Bolckow tombstones,
grave cover and kerb,
c. 24m -east of
chancel of Church of
St. Cuthbert.
G.V. II
2 tombstones, grave cover and kerb, to 4 members of Bolckow family, died
1858-1890. Chamfered red sandstone kerb; grey granite grave cover, and pink
granite tombstones with sandstone plinths. In middle of plot enclosed by
kerb, a plain double-chamfered grave cover, the top chamfer forming a large
facet. Epitaphs : on south face, to Henry William Ferdinand Bolckow of
Marton Hall, 1806-1878; and on north face, to Harriet, his wife, d. 1890.
At west end of plot, 2 slab tombstones, c. 120cm x 85cm, each with plinth
and chamfered Celtic Calvary cross-shaped head. Biblical texts and
interlaced "I.H.S." inscribed on crosses. -Right tombstone has epitaph to
Mary Drearden mother of above Harriet Bolckow, d.1858; left tombstone has
epitaph to Elise Caroline Sophie Hopkins, daughter of H.W.F. Bolckow, d.
1862. H.W.F. Bolckow was co-founder of the Middlesbrough iron trade in the
mid-C19. Included for historic interest.


Listing NGR: NZ5150915889

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.