This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5356 / 54°32'8"N
Longitude: -1.206 / 1°12'21"W
OS Eastings: 451471
OS Northings: 515878
OS Grid: NZ514158
Mapcode National: GBR NH0Z.PX
Mapcode Global: WHD76.F8X9
Entry Name: Church of St. Cuthbert
Listing Date: 23 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1329502
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59791
Location: Middlesbrough, TS7
Electoral Ward/Division: Marton East
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Marton-in-Cleveland St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: York
MIDDLESBROUGH STOKESLEY ROAD
NZ 51 NW (5115) (west side), Marton.
4/79 Church of St.
Church, C12 largely rebuilt 1843/48, possibly by J.B. Rudd (Tollesby).
Vestry c.1920. Dressed sandstone; Lakeland slate roofs. Cruciform plan
with aisled nave, south and west porches and north vestry. Neo-Norman
style; Early English style north transept, chancel and vestry. Continuous
chamfered plinth; slender clasping buttresses and buttresses between bays.
4-bay south aisle has gabled porch in 2nd bay. Boarded double doors, with
scrolled strap hinges, under double chevron-moulded head on nook shafts.
Chevron-moulded eaves cornice. Aisle windows have roll-moulded heads, nook
shafts and continuous impost and sill strings. Corbel table under shallow
parapet. Tablet with worn arms on parapet between 3rd and 4th bays.
Similar west windows in aisles. North aisle largely C12 with renewed
windows and embattled parapet. Similar slightly-projecting west porch,
under paired west window in deep segment-headed recess, flanked by slender
buttresses. West bellcote has 2 round-headed openings holding C17 bells,
under continuous hoodmould and paired gables. Crow-stepped east gable to
nave. South transept has paired and single windows with chevron-moulded
surrounds, and chevron-moulded gable copings. Largely medieval north
transept, has mid-C19 Caernarvon-headed windows in hollow-chamfered
surrounds, and crow-stepped gable. Lower 3-bay chancel has lancets and
boarded south door in nailhead-moulded arch on nook shafts; hoodmoulds with
carved stops. Corbel table at eaves includes 7 medieval corbels carved with
stars, shields and masks. Low parapet with chamfered roll-moulded copings.
East window with intersecting tracery. Cross finials on porches; transepts
and chancel. 2-bay vestry similar to north transept. INTERIOR: Re-cut C12
north arcade, piers alternately octagonal and compound, capitals with flat
leaves, grotesques and dragons, and bases with scrolled leaves. An original
shaped base at west end. Similar mid-C19 south arcade and transept arches.
Chevron and lozenge-moulded chancel arch. Low-pitched nave and transept
roofs have kingpost trusses, with moulded purlins, on block corbels.
Chancel roof has arch-braced collar-beam trusses, with moulded purlins, on
stone corbels; east truss on shafts. C13 trefoil-arched piscina, with
dogtooth moulding, in south wall. Pair of mid-C20 Vicar's stalls by
Thompson (Kilburn). Good wainscoting of 1914 in sanctuary. Mid-C19 carved
octagonal font. West window of south aisle has stained glass by W.E.
Towers, depicting St. Nicholas of Myra. 4 windows in south transept,
1903/05 by C.E. Kempe, of Saints Hilda, Elfleda (sic), Cuthbert and Aidan.
North transept window of 1911 by W.E. Towers, depicts St. Christopher.
East Window, Crucifixion with saints, 1908 by Wailes (Newcastle).
Benefaction board in porch. Medieval grave cover, in floor of north
transept, with carving of Calvary cross and sword. HISTORY: Captain James
Cook R.N., F.R.S., circumnavigator, baptised here 3rd November, 1728.
Listing NGR: NZ5147115878
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings