This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5351 / 54°32'6"N
Longitude: -1.2043 / 1°12'15"W
OS Eastings: 451585
OS Northings: 515830
OS Grid: NZ515158
Mapcode National: GBR NJ10.21
Mapcode Global: WHD76.G8RM
Entry Name: Captain Cook School and School House
Listing Date: 28 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1329508
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59732
Location: Middlesbrough, TS7
Electoral Ward/Division: Marton East
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Marton-in-Cleveland St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: York
MIDDLESBROUGH THE GROVE
NZ 51 NW (5115)
(north side), Marton.
4/37 Captain Cook School
and School House.
Wrongly shown on O.S. map as Marton Lane. Parochial School and school
house, 1849/50 by R.C. Carpenter (London). Infants' room and rear porch,
1884. Used as private house and nursery school since 1961. Dressed
sandstone, with chamfered plinth; and brick north gable of infants' room.
Welsh slate roofs. Tudor Gothic style. 2-storey school house and
one-storey porch and school. 3 asymmetrical bays. Lower central gabled
porch links house and school. Boarded double doors in moulded Tudor-arched
surround, with enriched spandrels and hoodmould, under projecting niche with
enriched corbel and hood with spirelet. Left school house has canted bay
window with chamfered-mullioned cusped-headed lights, iron casements and
leaded glazing. Similar single light on ground floor right. Shallow
parapet with chamfered and roll-moulded copings. Corniced, projecting
offset stack at left end. Hipped roof. Right gable-fronted school has
4-centred-headed window with rectilinear tracery under hoodmould. Finial
missing. Right return, fronting The Grove, has 3 square-headed windows with
similar tracery between offset buttresses. Truncated wood bellcote with
louvres at west end of ridge. Zinc ridge-vent with conical roof, at east
end. Rear of school shows similar 4-centred-headed window, gabled infant
room and lean-to porch in angle between school and main porch. INTERIOR z
school roof has arch-braced collar-beam trusses and through-purlins.
Inscribed slate tablet, dated 1812, in memory of Captain James Cook, R.N.,
F.R.S., on north wall of school (originally in Church of St. Cuthbert).
Inscribed marble tablet in infant room records its building in 1884.
HISTORY : built of stone from Marton Lodge, built 1790, destroyed by fire
Listing NGR: NZ5158515830
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings