History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dock Clock Tower

A Grade II* Listed Building in Central, Middlesbrough

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.581 / 54°34'51"N

Longitude: -1.2241 / 1°13'26"W

OS Eastings: 450248

OS Northings: 520919

OS Grid: NZ502209

Mapcode National: GBR MHWG.SM

Mapcode Global: WHD70.53CZ

Entry Name: Dock Clock Tower

Listing Date: 14 October 1999

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139871

English Heritage Legacy ID: 59709

Location: Middlesbrough, TS2

County: Middlesbrough

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Middlesbrough All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Middlesbrough

Listing Text

NZ 52 SW MIDDLESBROUGH DOCK STREET
(East, off)
1279/2/25
Dock Clock Tower

II*


Water tower and clock tower, c.1870 possibly by Philip Webb. Used as water tower for water accumulators or reservoirs for maintaining hydraulic pressure to dockside cranes and dock gates; also used as navigational aid on River Tees. Red engineering brick with red sandstone and terracotta dressings. Welsh slate roof on clock tower. 4-storey, 3 x l-bay water tower, supports 2-stage clock tower. (South) entrance front has moulded plinth, and central slightly-projecting porch with renewed boarded door and fanlight, now boarded up; moulded imposts, keystones and shaped moulded cornice. Windows, blind in end bays, and round-headed on 3rd floor, in 4-storey round-headed recesses with shaped keystones under continous hoodmould. Altered casements, moulded sills and panelled aprons. Entablature, with fluted console brackets in frieze, below parapet with balustraded panels, and raised pedestals between bays and at angles. Square
clock tower has ogee-stop-chamfered angles, above short angle buttresses with inverted scrolled brackets. Round-headed doorways in east and west faces of otherwise plain lower stage. Modillioned cornice between stages. 2nd stage has keyed oculi, holding clock faces on 3 sides, below frieze, dentil cornice and lunettes. Turned post finial on short chamfered pyramidal spire, sprocketed at eaves.
Returns of water tower have similar recessed windows.
Rear similar to entrance front, with blind doorway. Rear of clock tower shows patterned brickwork in blind oculus.
INTERIOR retains 2 large cast iron tanks which once held the water that provided the hydraulic pressure which operated the lock gates and other dock machinery.
Disused and dilapidated at time of resurvey.
Mid-C20 brick and concrete one-storey east extension not of special interest.


Listing NGR: NZ5024820919

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.