This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3697 / 50°22'11"N
Longitude: -4.4736 / 4°28'25"W
OS Eastings: 224185
OS Northings: 55129
OS Grid: SX241551
Mapcode National: GBR NF.V2QD
Mapcode Global: FRA 18J2.0ZJ
Entry Name: Trenant Park
Listing Date: 13 February 1974
Last Amended: 18 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140295
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60670
Location: Duloe, Cornwall, PL14
Civil Parish: Duloe
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Duloe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 25 NW DULOE
3/16 Trenant Park (previously listed as
House, now divided into flats. Possibly early C17, remodelled in early C18 and
extended in mid C19. Rendered stone rubble with moulded plinth and slate roof. Main
range with 2 front projecting wings with hipped ends and higher C19 range on right
with hipped ends and higher C19 range on right with gable end on left and canted end
on right. Further outshuts to rear. Central part of C17 range with probably hall
and parlour heated by stone rubble rear lateral chimney stacks with brick shafts
incorporated into later outshuts. Left-hand cross wing, probably kitchen range with
gabled stone rubble projecting side lateral chimney stack with further truncated
projecting stone rubble side lateral chimney stack to rear. Right-hand crosswing
with side lateral stone rubble chimney stack.
Plan altered with C18 and C19 remodelling and C20 conversion to flats. Full access
not possible at time of inspection and chronology and plan estimated. Central
section of main range probably with hall and parlour of equal size, heated by rear
lateral chimney stacks and with central through passage. Service range in cross wing
of 2-room plan on left, heated by side lateral stacks and parlour range in cross wing
on right also of 2-room plan and heated by side lateral stacks and forming an overall
H-shaped plan. Further extended to rear in circa late C17 with range to rear of
through passage, heated by side lateral stack and completely remodelled in C20.
Further extensions in continuous outshut to rear of whole of main range. Projecting
wing on right-hand side of main range of large single-room plan with canted right-
hand end and small stair projection to rear.
Circa C17 range of 2 storeys. Regular 2:3:1 window front with steeply pitched roof
with modillion cornice. Central range with two 12-pane early C18 sashes with heavy
glazing bars intact, partly glazed circa C19 door within C19 pedimented rendered
porch and three early C18 12-pane sashes above. To left, front of left-hand cross
wing with 2 tall C19 6/9 pane sashes and 2 C19 12-pane sashes above with 2-window
side elevation with l-bay blind and C20 glazed door in window opening. To right
front of right-hand cross wing with tall 16-pane sash on ground floor and 12-pane
sash above with C20 glazed door inserted in window opening of side 2-window
elevation. Rear elevation; wing to rear of through passage completely remodelled in
circa 1970s/1980s. Circa C19 range on right-hand side of front elevation of 2
storeys with 3-storey extension to rear. Considerably higher than C17 range.
Regular 2-window front with C20 glazed door on left and C19 window with radiating
glazing bars on right. 2 C19 12-pane sashes on first floor. Canted end with two 12-
pane sashes flanking central sash window with radiating glazing bars and three 12-
pane sashes above.
Interior Partitions of central range altered with higher partition of through
passage remodelled. Simple C19 chimney pieces with C20 chimney pieces in right-hand
cross wing. C19 range with drawing room with ornate plaster cornice with egg and
dart, key motifs and torus mouldings, decorative tin pelmets, fielded panelled
shutters and moulded doorcase. Simple C19 stair in projection to rear. C17 rear
wing extending to rear of through passage remodelled in 1970s.
Full access not possible at time of inspection. A further internal inspection may
reveal information relating to the plan and chronological sequence of development.
Additionally a house of this quality may be expected to contain interesting internal
Domesday Manor. Property of Hewis, Colshulls, Arundells, Whittingtons and later
Treise family. Sir Chris Treise Sheriff in 1760. In 1806 sold to Admiral Sir Edward
Buller. Later Sir Richard Buller installed machinary at great expense to force water
from vale below to mansion. Property then sold to William Peel, relative of Sir
Trenant is set in a large park with much land used for grazing. The temple at
Trenant Point, overlooking the entrance to Looe Harbour is now in ruins.
The house retains much of its C18 and C19 fenestration which is especially important
to the front elevation.
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall. 1867-73 reprinted in
Listing NGR: SX2206358017
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings