This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3962 / 50°23'46"N
Longitude: -4.3082 / 4°18'29"W
OS Eastings: 236043
OS Northings: 57690
OS Grid: SX360576
Mapcode National: GBR NN.SH6R
Mapcode Global: FRA 18V0.5FN
Entry Name: Orangery with Urn About 12 Metres to North and Busts Arranged to South, Port Eliot
Listing Date: 23 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140517
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62119
Location: St. Germans, Cornwall, PL12
Civil Parish: St. Germans
Built-Up Area: St Germans
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Germans Group Parish
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST GERMANS ST GERMANS
SX 35 NE
5/123 (17/57B) The Orangery with urn about 12
23.1.68 metres to north and busts arranged
to south, Port Eliot
Orangery, with urn and busts. Circa 1790, with 4 busts in the garden to south and an
urn to north, probably sited in mid C19. Orangery in brick and rubble, rendered;
hipped slate roof.
Rectangular orangery with glazed front to south and domed portico to north.
Exterior: Single storey, 1:3:1:3:1 bays on the south front; central double doors with
margin glazed bars and margin glazed overlight, pilasters. 24-pane sash to right and
left with frieze over. To right and left, 2 further similar sashes, with pilasters
between all windows. End bay to left and right with similar glazed double doors with
tall fanlight and 15-pane round-headed sash with Gothic toplight to each side.
Similar frieze over each end bay. Moulded eaves cornice.
Left end wall and rear in rubble; left side has tall double doors, panelled on the
inside. Rear has central portico with half-glazed door, 15-pane sash to right and
left, with Ionic columns and frieze. Niche with bust to each side. Domed roof in
lead, in course of repair at time of survey (August 1986).
To the south of the orangery, a group of 4 Roman style busts on tapered piers with
fielded panels. Urn set on plinth about 12 metres north of orangery.
Sources: Hussey, C. : Country Life, October 15, 22 and 29 (1958).
Listing NGR: SX3567657834
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings