This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.2055 / 50°12'19"N
Longitude: -5.0506 / 5°3'2"W
OS Eastings: 182415
OS Northings: 38394
OS Grid: SW824383
Mapcode National: GBR ZG.12JB
Mapcode Global: FRA 089H.45R
Entry Name: The Old School
Listing Date: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1140899
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63312
Location: Feock, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Feock
Built-Up Area: Feock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Feock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK
4/37 The Old School
National School, now private house. 1846 (Preliminary Statement of 1853, CRO). By Pearson. Extended later C19 in 2 phases. Slatestone rubble with granite quoins, copings and dressings for architectural detail. Dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gable ends, formerly partly roofed with double Roman tiles. Tudor style. Originally 1 large schoolroom and smaller room adjoining to right
(north) of (east) front end, with adjoining entrance porch with bellcote in angle and projecting to front, then schoolroom and classroom extension to right (north) parallel to original schoolroom with small open courtyard to rear, and finally a classroom built over this courtyard. Single storey. East front: left and righ 2 gable ends of projecting cross wings with entrance porch with bellcote over projecting slightly to left of centre and attached to left-hand wing. Right-hand gable end dressed stonework is probably reused from original north gable of schoolroom. Each of these gables has plinth, central 4-light steeped gable, slit ventilator with slate louvres over, corbelled kneeler courses and cruciform gabletted finial. Porch gable surmounted by original granite ashlar bellcote with steep weatherings has 4-centred, moulded doorway with stepped hoodmould
enclosing shield, and plaque with round-moulded border over. Original single light window to north wall of porch and 2-light window to east wall of original classroom. Other windows in similar style except 1985 conservatory to left-hand (south) side wall.
Interior remodelled 1985 but retaining arch braced roof structure.
Average number of children in 1852 was 51 boys and 1 girl. (Preliminary Statement
1853). The design of this school is similar to Devoran Primary School, qv., also by Pearson.
Listing NGR: SW8241538394
Other nearby listed buildings