This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2058 / 50°12'21"N
Longitude: -5.0496 / 5°2'58"W
OS Eastings: 182483
OS Northings: 38431
OS Grid: SW824384
Mapcode National: GBR ZG.12RW
Mapcode Global: FRA 089H.4JK
Plus Code: 9C2P6X42+84
Entry Name: Church of Saint Feock
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1329009
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63315
Location: Feock, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Feock
Built-Up Area: Feock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Feock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 83 NW FEOCK FEOCK
4/40 Church of Saint Feock
Parish church. Completely rebuilt 1875-6 incorporating C15 windows, arcade and
doorways. For The Reverend Thomas Philpotts by Piers St Aubyn. Killas rubble
brought to course, granite copings, windows and weatherings. Dry Delabole slate
roofs with coped gable ends, shaped clay ridge tiles and cross finials over cruciform gablets. Nave, chancel (under 1 roof), short north aisle, south aisle and south porch. North wall of nave incoporates circa C16 flat-headed window with trefoils, to right (west). North aisle has reused C15 Perpendicular window to far left, otherwise C19 windows in Perpendicular style. North wall of chancel is blind. Chancel east window is C19 3-light freestone in Perpendicular style. South window, partly obscured by C20 flat roofed vestry in angle between chancel and south aisle, is C19, 2-light. South aisle and porch are rebuilt almost to the same design as the pre 1875 building incorporating C15 Perpendicular 3-light windows, 1 to left of porch, 3 to right of porch and 1 to east end. West windows, 3-light to south aisle and 4-light to nave are C19 copies in granite of original C15 Perpendicular windows. Porch has C15 4-centred arched moulded granite doorframe.
Interior has C15 standard A (Pevsner) granite arcade of 5-bays between nave and
south aisle with 4-centred arches with cavetto and ovolo intrados mouldings over
coved capitals. Roof structures, of pitch pine, are arch braced with angled struts over collar and wind braces. Chancel roof has painted decoration. Squint between south aisle and chancel. 2-bay C19 arcade between nave and north aisle and C19 doorway with 4-centred arch over stiff leaf corbels between chancel and north aisle. Reredos, given by The Reverend Philpotts and based on ones he had seen in Florence, has crocketted pinnacles over battlements with cusped ogee arch to centre and flanking pointed arched panels with the 10 commandments. Piscina with cusped arch and hoodmould in chancel south wall. Several memorial windows of coloured glass. The east window, by de Morgan of London, on the theme "thy brother shall rise again", was given by the Misses Philpott in memory of their brother.
Fittings include: Norman font of Catecleuse stone with trees of life panels
decorating round bowl over turned shaft with cable moulding on round base; painted coat of arms of Charles I 1638; polygonal pulpit incorporating carved Flemish Rennaissance panels circa late C17; low alabaster chancel screen (given by The Reverend Philpotts); simple pitch pine pews with shaped ends, and stocks in porch with 7 holes to provide alternative use as pillory. Monument of marble with vase and torches to William Penrose of Tregie d. 1838.
Historical information from The Church Guide by The Reverend E.J. Saunders.
Listing NGR: SW8248338430
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings