History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Place Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Gerrans, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1497 / 50°8'58"N

Longitude: -5.004 / 5°0'14"W

OS Eastings: 185487

OS Northings: 32057

OS Grid: SW854320

Mapcode National: GBR ZJ.SNRN

Mapcode Global: FRA 08DM.JB2

Entry Name: Place Manor

Listing Date: 25 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141010

English Heritage Legacy ID: 62975

Location: Gerrans, Cornwall, TR2

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Gerrans

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Gerrans

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Saint Mawes

Listing Text

AW 83 SE GERRANS

5/10 Place Manor
-

GV II

Formerly part of Augustinian Priory and now country house adjoining Church of Saint
Anthony. First recorded circa 1288, present structure includes part of circa C16
wing but, mostly remodelled and extended circa 1840. Stucco over rubble walls. Dry
slate roofs with coped gable ends and brick gable chimneys. T-shaped plan adjoining
cruciform plan church. Symmetrical. Tudor Gothic style. 2 storeys central stair
plus attic. 9 window north front with flanking 2 window wings at lower level.
Central, open, porte cochere, entrance porch with 3 pointed arched openings and
diagonal buttresses. Room over with 3-light mullioned window. Further floor with
2-light window and hollow sprocketted pyramidal roof with gablet ventilator probably
later C19 addition. Central doorway within porch has 2 glazed doors with Gothic
detail and Gothic fanlight. All windows have arched lights and moulded hoodmoulds,
some incorporating Spry family motto: 'Soyez sage et simple'. Ground floor windows
have central mullions with turned shafts and carved capitals. String course at first
floor sill level. Four 2-light roof dormers with polygonal roofs and shaped wooden
eaves brackets. Left wing is 1 storey over basement and has central 4-light
mullioned window with transom and coped gable with ventilator over. Sill string.
Single light window, left and arched doorway with planked door right approached by
flight of steps from left. Right wing has 3-light mullioned windows to ground floor
with transomed and similar 2-light windows with gables over to first floor. Reused
C16-Cl7 segmental arched granite doorway to right.
Interior has 2 arched granite doorways in rear wing and 5 moulded and carved cross
beams surviving from circa C16. C19 Gothic detail to vestibule and stair well.
Otherwise not inspected.


Listing NGR: SW8548732057

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.