History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Anthony

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gerrans, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1495 / 50°8'58"N

Longitude: -5.004 / 5°0'14"W

OS Eastings: 185485

OS Northings: 32035

OS Grid: SW854320

Mapcode National: GBR ZJ.SNRQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 08DM.JB5

Entry Name: Church of Saint Anthony

Listing Date: 30 May 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141049

English Heritage Legacy ID: 62967

Location: Gerrans, Cornwall, TR2

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Gerrans

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Gerrans

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Saint Mawes

Listing Text

SW 83 SE GERRANS

5/2 Church of Saint Anthony
-

30-5-67 II*

Parish church (now private) rededicated 1259 with a small establishment by Plympton
Priory (Augustinian). C13. Surviving north transept. Nave and south aisle mostly
rebuilt 1850 and chancel, demolished at Dissolution, completely built 1850.
Slatestone walls with granite and freestone dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with
gable ends. Rare survival in Cornwall of cruciform plan with nave, chancel, north
and south aisles and tower over crossing. Nave has Norman doorway to south wall
possibly originally from Plympton Priory(S M R); of 4 orders with keeled nook shafts
with scalloped capitals supporting middle 2 round arches of cusps enclosing stylized
foliage carving, chevron outer order and carved heads, Agnus Dei off centre to left.
Reset C13 freestone lancet to right. All other windows are 1850 of, granite in Early
English style with coloured glass. 2-light one to left of doorway, 5-light one to
west gable, and 3-light one to north wall. Chacel has 2-light window to middle of
south wall with quatrefoil and flanking single lancets; 3-light window to east gable
and 2 single lancets in north wall and near junction with tower, a reused C17 doorway
with elliptical arch. North Transept has 3-light window in C13 walling to east wall
and rose window to north gable above where north transept adjoins Place Manor. South
aisle has 3-light window to each wall. Tower walling is C13 to apex level of
adjoining roofs. Rebuilt C19 wall over with quatrefoil ventilator under eaves to
each side. Dry slated broach spire with 4 Gothic lucarnes and leaded angles.
Interior has 1850 roof structure throught with arched bracing springing from corbvels
and cornice with dog tooth carving. C13, pointed and ordered freestone lower arches
with stiff leaf capitals and carved heads to north and south transept tower arch
capitals. Engaged shafts to responds of nave and chancel. C13 trefoil headed
freestone niches to east walls of north and south aisles. (The one in south aisle
with carved head corbels). East and West windows of south aisle have retooled C13
freestone rear arches and jambs with engaged shafts. Further surviving C13 jambs to
east window of north aisle. C19 granite rear arches and nook-shafts to east chancel
window and north nave window. Round-headed doorway in north wall of nave links
church to Place Manor. Spry family motto on wall: 'Soyez sage et simple!'.
Fittings of octagonal C19 granite front, benches with carved ends and scrolled arm
rests. Spry family pew in north aisle; octagonal pulpit with tapered base and cast
iron stair baluster in north east corner of tower and single bell in middle of tower
spire.
Monuments in north transept are to Spry family; fine, Baroque Ionic aedicule with
semi-circular pediment on cartouche with lion's head brackets and oval inscription
with angel head and acanthus border to Arthur Spry d. 1685 and wife Mary d. 1656;
large white marble Tudor style chest and frame around Classical group of male and
female mourners either side of inscribed pedestal with Spry arms above trophy to
Thomas Spry, Admiral of the Red 1828 and wife Anna Maria d. 1835; wall tablet with
angel holding sword against tapered background to Richard Spry and wife Mary; wall
tablet with ship of the line and Brittania to Sir Richard Spry Kt. Rear Admiral of
the White d. 1775 by Westmacott; simple monument to George Spry d. 1658 of Golden
with cartouche and coat of arms and wall table to Lucice Hele d. 1670.


Listing NGR: SW8548832053

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.