History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barclays Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2444 / 52°14'39"N

Longitude: 0.7135 / 0°42'48"E

OS Eastings: 585351

OS Northings: 264163

OS Grid: TL853641

Mapcode National: GBR QF0.76Y

Mapcode Global: VHKD4.BV19

Entry Name: Barclays Bank

Listing Date: 12 July 1972

Last Amended: 30 October 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141139

English Heritage Legacy ID: 466606

Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds

Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bury Saint Edmunds

Listing Text


BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8564SW ABBEYGATE STREET
639-1/14/149 (South side)
12/07/72 No.52
Barclays Bank
(Formerly Listed as:
ABBEYGATE STREET
(South side)
Nos.50, 51 AND 52
Barclays Bank)

GV II

Bank. C19, in 2 phases: the eastern half was built for Gurneys
in 1856 by HF Bacon of Bury, and used as their bank until
1880, when the western half was designed for them in matching
style by JB Pearce of Norwich; the older part was used as the
Post Office from 1881 to 1895. Subsequently, the whole
premises were taken over by Barclays. Stucco faced, with a
moulded parapet, modillion cornice and egg-and-dart frieze;
slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellars. 9 window range, 1:3:1:3:1,
with the end and centre bays projecting forward slightly. Sash
windows without glazing bars on the ground storey and with
single vertical bars on the 1st and 2nd storeys except for the
four 1st storey windows at the west side. The 2nd storey
windows have stucco architraves and sills on stub brackets.
The 1st storey windows have stucco architraves, balustrades
under the window sills and segmental pediments on enriched
console brackets.
The ground storey windows have stilted arches with architraves
and keystones, panelled pilasters and panels below the sills.
The projecting bays have doorways, 2 with round-headed arches
and coursed stucco rustication, one, on the left, with a
Tuscan porch. A continuous dentil cornice above the ground
storey windows.
(BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 149).

Listing NGR: TL8535164163

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.