History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elliots Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Newton Poppleford and Harpford, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7139 / 50°42'50"N

Longitude: -3.31 / 3°18'35"W

OS Eastings: 307611

OS Northings: 91292

OS Grid: SY076912

Mapcode National: GBR P6.JKQZ

Mapcode Global: FRA 37Y6.49N

Entry Name: Elliots Farmhouse

Listing Date: 26 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141376

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352411

Location: Newton Poppleford and Harpford, East Devon, Devon, EX11

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Newton Poppleford and Harpford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Tipton St John with Venn Ottery

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Newton Poppleford

Listing Text


SY 09 SE NEWTON POPPLEFORD VENN OTTERY
AND HARPFORD
4/89 Elliots Farmhouse
-

GV II

Farmhouse. Probably early or mid C16 core; much rebuilt, rearranged and extended
circa 1700; modernised circa 1830. Plastered cob on stone rubble footings, some of
it faced with circa 1700 brick and plastered over; stone rubble or brick stacks with
plastered brick chimney shafts; slate roof (formerly thatch).
U-shaped plan. The main block faces south and its plan comprises a central entrance
lobby and staircase with a corridor along the rear. At the right (eastern) end is
the principal parlour with an end stack with another domestic room in a rear block
at right angles behind, also with an end stack. To left of the main stair are 2
smaller rooms, the outer one served by an end stack and there is also a secondary
stair here. Another rear block at right angles contains the kitchen with an end
stack. 2 storeys throughout with disused attics.
Symmetrical 2:1:2-window front of C20 replacement mullion-and-transom casements
without glazing bars. The central bay is broken forward slightly and contains a
circa 1830 6-panel door with contemporary moulded doorcase and flat-roofed porch
which has slender Tuscan columns and moulded entablature with shaped vallance. The
roof has plain eaves and the central part is lifted over the projecting bay. It is
hipped each end and flanked by tall chimney shafts with moulded coping. The rear
blocks are gable-ended and also contain C20 windows. On the left (western) return
wall is a secondary doorway to the rear corridor. It has a solid oak frame with
chamfered surround and contains a good plank door with large studs and moulded cover
strips and is hung on strap hinges with fleur-de-lys finials. It probably dates
from circa 1700 although it looks earlier.
Interior is largely the result of the circa 1700 rebuild as modernised circa 1830.
The layout is wholly circa 1700 suggesting that the C19 modernisation was relatively
superficial. The only evidence of early or mid C16 work is from the right (eastern)
rear block. Here on the outer wall the farmer reports finding a large timber window
"in Gothic style" when replacing the external render. It was apparently tall and
sited across first floor level suggesting that it served an open hall. It was in
good condition but was covered over.
Most of the joinery detail is circa 1830 including the main'stair with its open
string, slender turned balusters and unusually heavy mahogony handrail. There are,
however, some 2-panel doors of circa 1700 and many contemporary solid oak doorframes
with bead-moulded surrounds and applied architraves. The fireplaces are all blocked
by C19 and C20 grates although the kitchen fireplace is said to have the machinery
for winding the meat jack. The parlour has a beautiful ceiling of circa 1700
ornamental plasterwork. It is 2 bays with ovals defined by bolection-moulded ribs
and filled with naturalistic flowers and foliage in high relief with laurel sprays
in the end panels. The secondary stair is also circa 1700, a winder stair around a
circular section newel post rising from the ground to the attics. The roof
throughout is circa 1700 and comprises a series of A-frame trusses on tie beams with
pegged lap-jointed collars. Here in the attics some of the old plaster has fallen
away showing that it is backed on water reeds rather than wooden lathes.
Elliots Farmhouse with its forecourt wall and pavilion (q.v.) form an attractive
group. The farmhouse is a good example of a circa 1700 house and its development
follows a remarkably similar pattern to nearby Venn Ottery Barton (q.v.) with its
forecourt walls and pavilion (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SY0761191292

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.