This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2038 / 50°12'13"N
Longitude: -5.1183 / 5°7'5"W
OS Eastings: 177573
OS Northings: 38408
OS Grid: SW775384
Mapcode National: GBR ZB.28N6
Mapcode Global: FRA 085H.1T4
Entry Name: Engineers Shop
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Last Amended: 31 January 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141643
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63529
Location: Mylor, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Mylor
Built-Up Area: Perranwell
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Mylor
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 NE
(formerly part of group listed as Perran)
Engineers shop, boring mill and pattern shop, now store. Circa early-mid C18 and partly enclosing earlier structure possibly late C18. Painted rubble walls with brick arches and wooden lintels. Corrugated asbestos and scantle slate roofs with gable ends and large stack at south side paragraph.
Overall plan survives since the C19, of large tapered single-storey working area covered by parallel roofs running east west; rectangular two-storey building with roof running north south adjoins at east end and further rectangular extension (originally pattern shop adjoins middle of west end).
This building's machinery was driven by two waterwheels turned by water from leat passing parallel to south and discharged into river parallel to north side. Wheels and machinery since removed. Many original openings survive, wide and narrow doorways, including openings at north gable end to ground floor, first floor and to gable. Many first floor window openings with some window frames covered in P.V.C. sheeting.
Interior has original roof structures of both king post and queen post type.
Part of the Perran Iron Foundry founded in 1791, and in its heyday the most important foundry in Cornwall, manufacturing some of the largest beam engines ever constructed.
Plan of Perran Foundry circa 1860 (CRC).
Despite superficial C20 alterations, this is a very complete C19 industrial building.
Listing NGR: SW7757338408
Other nearby listed buildings