History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Central Methodist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Bude, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8288 / 50°49'43"N

Longitude: -4.5461 / 4°32'45"W

OS Eastings: 220789

OS Northings: 106344

OS Grid: SS207063

Mapcode National: GBR K2.X261

Mapcode Global: FRA 16CX.2RT

Entry Name: Central Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 9 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1141874

English Heritage Legacy ID: 64740

Location: Bude-Stratton, Cornwall, EX23

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Bude-Stratton

Built-Up Area: Bude

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Bude Haven

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Bude

Listing Text

SS 2006-2106 BUDE-STRATTON BUDE

11/232 Central Methodist Chapel
-

- II

Methodist Chapel. 1878-1880, vestry 1886, alterations circa 1912. Ritual east
end fittings 1924, alteration to ritual west end 1962. Torquay limestone with
Bathstone dressings and slate roofs. Free Italianate Romanesque style chapel has
shallow chancel, gabled porch on ritual south side and shallow gabled transepts
towards the (ritual) west end. Moulded impost string at sill level of chapel and
wide band under moulded string at the springing of the window arches which have
wide stone architraves. Coped gables have order of blind round-headed east
window, the central light flanked by engaged columns with waterleaf capitals.
Carved angel in (ritual) east gable of nave. 5 + 2 windows to (ritual) north
side with rose window in the gable of the transept. Moulded stone chimney in
(ritual) north side corbelled out below the impost band. Porch on (ritual) south
side has round-headed doorway with date of 1880 over and 1 light round-headed
window in gable with carved label stops. Lean-to vestry on (ritual) south side
has round-headed doorway, 2 rectangular recessed windows and 2 circular windows in
wide stone architraves. Addition at ritual west end gabled to west, preserves
Romanesque style but has no impost band. Ventilators under hipped slate roofs on
roof. Interior. Flat rib and panel roof. (Ritual) east end fittings circa 1924
include carved rostrum. Organ in chancel. The church seems originally to have
been a church with schoolroom to the west, church extended into former schoolroom
circa 1912. In 1962 the former west porch was altered to form an entrance hall.


Listing NGR: SS2078906344

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.