This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8307 / 50°49'50"N
Longitude: -4.5135 / 4°30'48"W
OS Eastings: 223092
OS Northings: 106469
OS Grid: SS230064
Mapcode National: GBR K3.WY6C
Mapcode Global: FRA 16FW.X17
Entry Name: House Adjoining Church Cottage to the West
Listing Date: 5 March 1952
Last Amended: 9 September 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1141878
English Heritage Legacy ID: 64748
Location: Bude-Stratton, Cornwall, EX23
Civil Parish: Bude-Stratton
Built-Up Area: Stratton
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Stratton
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SS 25 06 BUDE-STRATTON CHURCH SQUARE, STRATTON
13/166 House adjoining Church Cottage to
5.3.52 the west (formerly listed as one of
Nos. 1 & 2, Church Street)
House, may have been guildhouse. Late C15/early C16, late C20 alterations.
Colourwashed rendered stone with deep, steeply-pitched slate roof, brick chimneys
at ends. Part of same build as Church Cottage (q.v). C16 plan may have been 2
rooms and through passage with large hall heated by front lateral stack, now
missing, formerly positioned approximately at dividing wall between this house and
Church Cottage. Room at lower end of former through passage unheated, chimney
breast said to be at first floor level. Single-storey wing at rear left may have
been kitchen wing, forming L plan. Rear right outshut under catslide roof,
probably C19, forming present U plan. 5-bay C16 first floor room originally open
to the timbers. 2 storeys. 2-window symmetrical front with C20 front door under
canopy. 2 ground floor C20 4-light windows with glazing bars. 2 first floor
windows, each a pair of 9-pane sashes in a common architrave.
Interior: Ground floor has massive cross beams with wide chamfers and wide runout
stops. Axial beams mostly original. Chamfered 4-centred granite archway opposed
to front door leads into former courtyard at rear, courtyard roofed over late C20.
Similar granite archway leads from courtyard into kitchen wing. Stone chamfered
rectangular window lights kitchen from courtyard. Kitchen has large fireplace
with fireplace lintel. Stair inserted between kitchen and lower end, parallel to
rear wall of lower end, Chinese Chippendale balustrade to landing, the stair
balustrade replaced. First floor has early C19 2-panel doors. First floor room
left has large fireplace of dressed stone, fireplace beam replaced. Attic has
fireplace with ovolo-moulded fireplace beam. Roof has 5 bays of arched brace
trusses with 2 tiers of threaded purlins and collars mortised into principals.
Some of the braces replaced late C20, some repair to trusses with iron straps.
Ridge concealed by late C20 panels, but said to be diagonally-set. Pitched stone
path afore the house. Unusually complete survival of C16 joinery to first floor
and roof. F J Bone refers to a number of guilds at Stratton including the
"Fraternity of the Hye cross". There are references in the parish records to the
Church House being used for trading, "It is probable that the name of the church
house was applied to 2 or 3 contigudus houses overlooking the open space in front
of the churchyard gates, and that these houses still remain. They were originally
called by the name of Temple Stairs," F J Bone, The Story of Stratton Church,
1919, p45 fn.
Listing NGR: SS2309706475
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings