This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2412 / 52°14'28"N
Longitude: 0.7145 / 0°42'52"E
OS Eastings: 585432
OS Northings: 263807
OS Grid: TL854638
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.FGN
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.BXLR
Entry Name: Highbury House
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142327
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467691
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8563NW WESTGATE STREET
639-1/15/679 (North side)
House, now a residential hostel for the West Suffolk Health
Authority. Early C17 with C18 and C19 alterations.
Timber-framed and roughcast rendered. Part C20 plaintiled
roof, part flat roofed with a parapet, part slate. 2 parallel
ranges, the rear with an attic storey. The remains of a
cross-wing at the east end.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and cellars; 4 windows to 1st storey, all
12-pane sashes; 3 windows on the ground storey, 2 tripartite
with 12-pane central lights and one 12-pane sash. A doorcase
with Doric pilasters, triglyph frieze and cornice.
The rear range has a steeply-pitched roof, at the east end
with a modillion cornice; the remainder has a later
roughcasted front with parapet. 2 large dormers in the roof
have sash windows and pierced and fluted bargeboards.
INTERIOR: cellar below the east half of the building is mainly
brick-lined with some vaulting. Both front and rear ranges
have main timbers exposed: at the east end a plain chamfered
main beam with scroll stops; in several of the remaining
ground storey rooms ovolo-moulded main beams. One rear upper
room has ovolo-moulded cross-beams. Several moulded plaster
cornices. Main posts with long jowls, one shaped. C19 stair
with stick balusters and wreathed handrail. Rafters concealed,
but the roof has some form of side purlins.
Listing NGR: TL8543263807
Other nearby listed buildings