This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6238 / 50°37'25"N
Longitude: -4.4873 / 4°29'14"W
OS Eastings: 224158
OS Northings: 83406
OS Grid: SX241834
Mapcode National: GBR ND.B55R
Mapcode Global: FRA 17HF.7LT
Entry Name: Gimbletts Mill
Listing Date: 23 January 1988
Last Amended: 23 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142792
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68345
Location: Laneast, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Laneast
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Laneast
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 28 SW
4/135 Gimblett's Mill
Mill with attached miller's house; now house. Circa mid - late C17; extended and
remodelled circa 1807, with additions of later C19 and C20 alterations. Painted
stone rubble. Slate roof with ridge tiles and gable end to left, hipped to right.
Rear lateral stack with rubble shaft with slate weathering and pitched slates; rear
lateral stack with rubble shaft to the early C19 addition.
Plan: The C17 building has a one-room plan mill at the left end, formerly with an
overshot wheel at the left end driven from a leat at the rear. The mill is built
into the bank at the rear, with access directly into the loft. The miller's house is
attached to right, of 1-room plan, heated from a rear lateral stack, and with the
entrance at the right side of the front. The entrance probably led to a passage with
screen partition to left; probably circa early C19 a straight stair was inserted in
the rear of the passage, dividing to right and left at first floor. Circa 1807
(dated from a coin found over a window) a one-room plan addition was made at the
right end, heated from a rear lateral stack. This room became the kitchen. Later in
the C19, 2 further additions were made at the right end; at the front a single storey
scullery/wash house, with a stack at the front, and a small unheated single storey
addition to rear right with gable end at the right side.
Exterior: 2 storeys, asymmetrical 3-window front; all windows are C20 wooden
casements with small panes, set in the original apertures. The mill is to left; at
ground floor there is a 2-light window with shutters, unglazed, and a stable-type
door, both with slatestone segmental arches. These stone arches are a feature of the
early C19 remodelling. The jamb of the door has an inset slate with lettering in
lower case: R Tinney 1833 (the last numeral not completely legible) and 1918; these
are markings for flood levels. At first floor there is a 3-light 6-pane casement
with slate cill. To right is the miller's house. At ground floor there is a central
plank door with segmental slatestone arch, and to left a 2-light 12-pane casement
with segmental slatestone arch. To right there is a 2-light 6-pane casement with
flat stone arch; this is inserted in the original doorway into the C17 house. At
first floor there are two 2-light 6-pane casements. There is a straight joint in the
masonry to right to the addition of early C19; this is 2-storey, with 3-light 8-pane
casement with segmental slatestone arch at ground floor and 2-light 6-pane casement
at first floor. Projecting to front right is the scullery/wash house, with 4-pane
casement at the left side, stable-type door at the right side and stack with rubble
shaft at the front. At the right end, to right, there is a single storey addition
with gable end with 12-pane casement, single light to rear. At the left end of the
main range is the wheel pit, with a socket remaining in the wall for the watershaft.
The wheel and all machinery were removed circa 1957. The upper level of the gable
end is rendered, with 2-light 6-pane casememt to left. At the rear, the original
house has granite quoins to left and large external weathered stack. The rear of the
mill room has C20 door leading directly into the loft.
Interior: The ground floor room of the original house has large main ceiling beam
with deep chamfer, other cross beams chamfered and roughly hewn. The original front
doorway has a wooden lintel, chamfered, with run-out stops; the present central
doorway and the window both have cambered wooden lintels with chamfer and run-out
stops. The rear lateral fireplace has replaced wooden lintel, cloam oven to rear
with clay door and salt hole in the wall to left. The straight stair along the right
side of the room has been rebuilt, and divides to right and left at first floor.
There is a solid manonry wall between this room and the early C19 addition to right.
The room to right has slate floor and rear fireplace with chamfered wooden lintel and
cloam oven to right and left. The roof trusses have been completely replaced in C20.
Listing NGR: SX2415883406
Other nearby listed buildings