This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1895 / 50°11'22"N
Longitude: -5.4133 / 5°24'47"W
OS Eastings: 156454
OS Northings: 37745
OS Grid: SW564377
Mapcode National: GBR FX05.P6F
Mapcode Global: VH12N.4H1K
Plus Code: 9C2P5HQP+RM
Entry Name: The Hayle Brewery
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143668
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70259
Location: Hayle, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Hayle
Built-Up Area: Hayle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Hayle
Church of England Diocese: Truro
HAYLE SEA LANE (west side), Hayle
11/153 No 4 (The Hayle Brewery)
Brewery buildings. 1873. Built for The Hayle Brewery. Painted rubble walls with
granite dressings. Grouted scantle slate roofs (part replaced with asbestos slate);
hipped over the taller buildings; with gable ends to the other buildings. 3 brick
chimneys: 2 over right-hand corners of tallest building and one over left-hand rear
corner of single storey wing, left. Some wooden launders.
Plan: Overall irregular U-shaped plan built on a steep slope up to the rear and to
the right. Main range is 3 adjoining 2-storey rectangular blocks-on 3 levels;
adjoining at right angles to front, right is 2-storey range with large louvred
openings to the first floor; single storey waggon shed in front and single storey
range (possibly former stables in front of the left hand side).
Exterior: Main range has 2-storey front with 2-storey over basement block on the
right. Roofs on 3 levels. Single storey wing adjoining in front of left-hand side
and 2-storey range built in front of the right-hand side. Centre block has doorway
on the left with loading doorway over and large doorway on the right (rear of this is
a symmetrical 3 window front with wide eaves soffit to the roof). Tall building,
right, has doorway on its left and loading doorway to each floor over and hoist boom
above, (rear of this block is another symmetrical 3 window front). Returning is the
left-hand wall of the 2-storey front range. This is a symmetrical front with central
doorway, 2 windows at either side and louvred openings at rear). Wagon shed has 2
large doorways to the front (left-hand wall). The other buildings, left, and in
front, have 3 doorways at the left-hand side.
Interior: Not inspected but may be of interest.
Formerly run by the Ellis family. First brewery circa 1815 when Christopher Ellis
(1790-1867) aged 27 was set up in business by his godfather. In 1934 the company of
Ellis and Son merged with St Austell Brewery and brewing at Hayle ceased. The
brewery buildings became a depot of St Austell Brewery Co. Thirty freehold public
houses were taken over.
Historical information extracted from notes supplied by Hayle Town Council.
Listing NGR: SW5645437745
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings