This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1886 / 50°11'18"N
Longitude: -5.4118 / 5°24'42"W
OS Eastings: 156560
OS Northings: 37636
OS Grid: SW565376
Mapcode National: GBR FX05.XK1
Mapcode Global: VH12N.4JW8
Entry Name: Bodriggy House (No.21) Sea Lane and No.42 Bodriggy Street, Including Front Garden Walls
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160426
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70260
Location: Hayle, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Hayle
Built-Up Area: Hayle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Phillack
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 5637- 5737
Bodriggy House (No.21) Sea Lane and No 42 Bodriggy Street, including front garden walls.
(Formerly listed as SEA LANE No 21 and No 42 Bodriggy Street (Bodriggy House), including front garden walls)
House, including parallel former service range at rear and garden walls in
front. Incorporating C17 or earlier remains but present house largely or
wholely rebuilt circa 1718, extended slightly circa late C19. Granite ashlar front, otherwise painted rubble. Steep dry Delabole slate roof with tall
brick chimneys over the gable ends and a tall gabled brick lateral stack over
the middle of the original rear wall.
Plan: Overall U-shaped plan house with 3 large rooms at the front with large central hall and incorporating earlier wings at right angles to rear, left
and right and returning from the rear left-hand side of the right-hand wing parallel to the main house. Victorian wing added at right of right hand rear wing. Classical style with archaic features.
Exterior: 2-storeys. Symmetrical 7 window front with central doorway. Plinth, flat arches and moulded mid-floor string which steps up as hoodmould over doorway. Circa early C19 door and windows. Panelled door with overlight and original C18 fanlight above. C20 distyle wooden porch with round-arched hood
with moulded cornice linked to the capitals of the columns. 12-pane hornless sashes. Left-hand wall of rear left hand wing has pair of C18 18-pane sashes
to large ground floor opening.Wealth of panelled doors with fielded panelling; fielded panelled window shutters (and some early C19 shutters); some eared chimney-pieces and probably C18 roof structures (not inspected).
Interior: retains most of its early C18 features including: fine open-well
open-string stair with scrolled tread ends, column-turned balusters, moulded ramped handrail and dado with raised and fielded panelling; canopied ceiling
over stair with dentilled lower cornice and central oval with winged putto blowing a pipe, moulded ceiling cornices in other rooms including chambers, another central oval in right-hand room; The original C18 stair tower is
behind the left-hand side of the hall and there is an outshut behind the hall
and the right-hand room (extended circa later C18). There is a probably
former 2-storey porch (at rear left of the deeper right-hand wing) which has
a C17 chamfered doorway. C19 rubble walls parallel to front and at left hand
side linked to house at front and rear. Low wall parallel to front has square-edged granite copings and square-on-plan granite monolithic piers. Higher wall
at left has scantle slate coping. Rear wall has C17 chamfered granite doorway.
Bodriggy was one of the large estates that surrounded the estuary of the River Hayle before the town of Hayle proper came into being. The estate is known to have been in the hands of the family of Bodriggy as early as 1181. During the last 800 years its ownership has passed into different families only twice.
Once the home of Merchant Curnow, the West family (of engineering note) and
the Ellis family of the Hayle Brewery.
Historical information extracted from notes supplied by Hayle Town Council.
Listing NGR: SW5656037636
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings