This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1902 / 50°11'24"N
Longitude: -5.4134 / 5°24'48"W
OS Eastings: 156452
OS Northings: 37822
OS Grid: SW564378
Mapcode National: GBR FX05.P50
Mapcode Global: VH12N.4H00
Entry Name: The Cornish Arms
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327609
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70184
Location: Hayle, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Hayle
Built-Up Area: Hayle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Phillack
Church of England Diocese: Truro
HAYLE FORE STREET (south side), Hayle
11/88 No 98 (The Cornish Arms)
Public house, originally a beer shop. C18 or early C19, remodelled circa late
C19. Stuccoed front. Half-hipped grouted scantle slate roof (replaced with
corrugated asbestos at rear). Painted brick chimneys over either end and over a
cross wall towards the right. Chimneys are positioned as if possibly there were
originally 2 parallel roofs. Cast-iron ogee gutters.
Plan: Double depth plan. Perhaps originally 2 houses and only single depth. Now
has 3 rooms along the front with 2 entrance halls or passages between the rooms.
At rear is an irregular accretion of service rooms of deeper plan at far left and
Exterior: 2 storeys. Fairly regular overall 5 window north-west road front. At
the left is a wider 3 window front with doorway left of middle and 2 of the
windows right of the doorway. Circa late C19 partly glazed box porch with
original side door. On the right is a 2 window front with a doorway under the
left-hand window. C19 4-panelled door with top panels later glazed. There are 2
windows right of the doorway on the ground floor. All the windows are circa late
C19 4-pane horned sashes.
Interior: Not inspected.
During the tenancy of Edward Chegwin circa 1867-1873 this building, originally a
beer shop, was uprated to an inn and named Cornish Arms.
Information supplied by Hayle Town Council.
Listing NGR: SW5645237822
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings