This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1283 / 50°7'41"N
Longitude: -5.4462 / 5°26'46"W
OS Eastings: 153795
OS Northings: 31046
OS Grid: SW537310
Mapcode National: GBR DXYB.L5C
Mapcode Global: VH130.K15G
Entry Name: Engine House at Sw53783104
Listing Date: 9 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143720
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70088
Location: St. Hilary, Cornwall, TR17
Civil Parish: St. Hilary
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Hilary
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST HILARY TREGURTHA DOWNS MINE
SW 53 SW
1/183 Engine house at 5V53783104
Beam engine house for 80 inch pumping engine. Circa 1880. Probably granite ashlar
bob wall (overgrown with ivy), otherwise granite rubble with granite and brick
dressings. Original iron tie rods through the length of each wall. Some remains of
scantle slate roof and boarded studwork over bob wall.
Plan: rectangular plan with thicker bob wall with narrow doorway (east) and large
boiler doorway in gable-ended wall (west). The engine moved to South Crofty in 1903
and still extant.
Exterior : Tall plinth; arched doorways to the front and rear walls and arched stair
window to each wing wall. (The bob wall arch is ordered). The other openings are
tall rectangular window openings (3 to each floor of the wing walls and 2 pairs of
openings to each floor over the boiler doorway) and a blind oculus with brick cross
to the gable end. Remains of original window frames.
Interior : original scissor-truss roof structure; pit towards the bob wall and round
dressed granite cylinder platform.
The engine formerly fitted to this engine house was built by Copperhouse Foundry,
Hayle, to a design by Samuel Grose. It was originally fitted to Wheal Alfred
Consols, then Crenver then lineal Abraham before being moved to Tregurtha Downs.
This engine house is similar in design to one never completed at Tregurtha Farm
nearby and to East Wheal Rose (lead mine).
Sources : Peter Richards; Industrial Archaeology of Cornwall Gazetteer; East Wheal
Rose by H.L. Douch.
Listing NGR: SW5379531046
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings