This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0391 / 51°2'20"N
Longitude: -2.1195 / 2°7'10"W
OS Eastings: 391714
OS Northings: 126643
OS Grid: ST917266
Mapcode National: GBR 1X6.YR8
Mapcode Global: FRA 66GC.L2J
Entry Name: Hook Manor
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146052
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320984
Location: Sedgehill and Semley, Wiltshire, SP7
Civil Parish: Sedgehill and Semley
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Semley St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 92 NW (west side)
4/194 Hook Manor
Detached house. 1637, built by Thomas Arundell for his daughter
Ann, 1935 remodelling by T.L. Dale of Oxford. Dressed limestone,
tiled roof, brick stacks with moulded cappings. U-plan with
wings flanking courtyard on south side. Two-storey, 2-window
front in courtyard; Tudor-arched doorway with 1930s door, 3-light
recessed chamfered mullioned casement either side and two to first
floor. Flanking wings have 3-light mullioned casements to both
floors facing across courtyard, west wing also has single light to
stairs, front gable ends of wings have 3-light mullioned casements
to ground, first and attic floors, coped verges, east wing has
stone sundial to gable. Right return of east wing has large
gabled external stack with 3-light mullioned casement to ground
floor and single light to attic, ground floor to right has 1930s
French windows, 3-light mullioned casement to first floor. Left
return of west wing has large external stack with single light to
attic, 3-light mullioned casement and elliptically-headed doorway
to left, single light to right. Rear has 3-light and 2-light
mullioned casements to ground and first floors, external stack to
centre, attic gables of wings have 3-light mullioned casements.
Attached to rear right is single-storey 1930s service extension, in
similar style with mullioned casements and hipped dormers. All
casements are leaded.
Interior: entrance hall has stone Tudor-arched fireplace,
chamfered beams with stepped stops. South east room has open
fireplace and fine plaster ceiling in square panels with vine
scroll borders and motifs including whales, sailing ships, fleur de
lis; south east panel contains initials of Ann Arundell and Cecil
Calvert, 2nd Lord Baltimore, married 1628. This ceiling records
the colonisation of Maryland in 1633 when Cecil's brother, Leonard
Calvert sailed in the Ark and the Dove; it probably dates from
after 1639 when the house given to the Calverts by Thomas Arundell.
C17-style stairs and much of joinery dates from 1930s renovation.
First floor has stone fireplaces, plaster ceiling cornices, north
east room has pilastered fireplace of c1800. False fireplace in
attic has reset lintel from entrance with date 1655/IB in heart-
shaped panel, roof of centre range rebuilt, wings have 4-bay butt-
purlin roofs with collars.
A classic Wiltshire manor house, important for its historical
association with the early colonisation of North America, as well
as the unusual survival of complete building accounts, showing the
house to have cost £313.14s.1d. in 1637.
(Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury; Country Life,
October 24, 1963)
Listing NGR: ST9171426643
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings