This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0064 / 54°0'23"N
Longitude: -1.4706 / 1°28'14"W
OS Eastings: 434791
OS Northings: 456843
OS Grid: SE347568
Mapcode National: GBR LQ53.DK
Mapcode Global: WHD9L.CKXF
Entry Name: Castle Mill Building to North
Listing Date: 25 March 1983
Last Amended: 12 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149864
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330876
Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Knaresborough
Built-Up Area: Knaresborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Knaresborough
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
Castle Mill: building to
north, (formerly listed
as Block A under Castle Mills
(consisting of blocks A to E))
Mill building. Late C18 and C19. Coursed gritstone and brick in random
bond. Pantile and Westmorland slate roof. This block is situated along the
road side and follows the curve of the road. 3 storeys, 10 bays, with 2-
storey, 3-bay brick addition at north end, not of special interest. West
facade (towards river): ground-floor openings all boarded over; first floor:
6 sashes with glazing bars to left, 3 side-sliding sashes and a 16-pane sash
to right. Second floor: 11 square windows, most of 5 fixed panes. There is
a straight joint in the building between the 3 windows to right, and those
to left; the roofing is continuous. East (road) side: blocked openings at
ground-floor level. First-floor loading door, blocked windows to second
floor. South gable end: stone ground floor with blocked window. Wooden
lintel at first-floor level; upper 2 storeys brick. Second floor: boarded
2-light window with cambered header arch. Notice erected by Knaresborough
Historical Society: 'Castle Mill, built in 1791 as a cotton mill, soon
became the centre of the towns most thriving industry, the linen trade.
Linen was woven in this mill until 1972'. A sign-board above was erected by
Walton and Co who manufactured 'Knaresborough' linens. Low 2-storey brick
porch with board door, wooden lintel, and small square window links this
building with another range to south-west (q.v.). Interior not inspected.
This building is probably the new cotton mill opened in September 1791 after
an agreement to build one was drawn up between John and Charles Lomas, who
ran the paper mill and water-works on the site, and Robert Thornton, a
cotton spinner of Airton, near Skipton. The structure might previously have
been used as a paper mill, and adapted to new use shortly after November
1790 when a new water wheel was planned. Castle Mills was converted to flax
spinning for linen in 1811 and Walton and Company leased it in 1847 for yarn
spinning and power loom weaving, which took place in other buildings on the
site. Linen production ceased in 1972 and Walton left the site in 1984. E
Hargrove, The Castle, Town and Forest of Knaresborough, 1809, p 55. B
Jennings, Harrogate and Knaresborough, 1970, pp 264, 316, 321 and 438.
Listing NGR: SE3479156843
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings