This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0066 / 54°0'23"N
Longitude: -1.4691 / 1°28'8"W
OS Eastings: 434891
OS Northings: 456863
OS Grid: SE348568
Mapcode National: GBR LQ53.QH
Mapcode Global: WHD9L.DKN9
Entry Name: Court House Museum
Listing Date: 12 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330755
Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Knaresborough
Built-Up Area: Knaresborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Knaresborough
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3456 KNARESBOROUGH CASTLE YARD
8/92 Court House Museum
Courthouse, now museum and gardeners' store. Early C14 with late C16 and
C18 additions and restoration 1830 and C20. Coursed squared magnesian
limestone, brick, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays with single-storey,
2-bay addition to rear. Bay 1: round-arched board door to right with
hoodmould; small boarded opening to left. Board door in plain frame between
bays 3 and 4 flanked by barred side-sliding sash windows with glazing bars.
Between bays 2 and 3: external staircase, mid C20, rising to C20 board door
in chamfered basket-arch surround. 1st-floor windows: 3-light to bays 1 and
4, 5-light to bays 2, 3 and 5; all double-chamfered with recessed mullions
and stepped hoodmoulds. Kneeler and ashlar coping to left, hipped roof to
right. Gritstone stacks to left end, to ridge between bays 4 and 5, and to
rear of ridge at centre. Interior: rear wall is built largely of small red
bricks in random bond. Ground floor, bay 3 - large fireplace of C14 type,
covered in and details not seen at resurvey. Bay 4 - length of stone
walling enters from rear wall and projects into the room at an angle. 1st
floor supported on longitudinal beams supported by posts, 2 with straight
braces. Much reused timber. 1st floor: bay 1 - C17 cupboards and door,
restored and rooms divided mid C20. Bay 3 - benches and panelling of late-
C16 courtroom retained as part of Museum display. The earliest parts of
this building are part of a range of rooms built between the inner and outer
bailey of the castle. It is thought to have been the "House of Records"
mentioned in a survey of 1561 but appears to have been largely rebuilt
c1590-1610, with an upper storey serving as the courthouse for the Honour of
Knaresborough. The roof was raised, left gable wall rebuilt and right
(southern) bay possibly rebuilt during the period 1786-1830, when the
single-storey 2-bay addition was built at the rear. The prison block
attached to north end (q.v.) was added during this time. M Mann, Old
Courthouse Museum c1970. Leaflet sold at the Museum.
Listing NGR: SE3489156863
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings