This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7861 / 51°47'9"N
Longitude: -2.1952 / 2°11'42"W
OS Eastings: 386633
OS Northings: 209730
OS Grid: SO866097
Mapcode National: GBR 1M0.XHB
Mapcode Global: VH94R.WCVN
Entry Name: Beacon House
Listing Date: 21 October 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152614
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133349
Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Painswick
Built-Up Area: Painswick
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
PAINSWICK NEW STREET
SO 8609-8709 (Part)
(north west side)
Large town house, originally free-standing, now in row. 1766, possibly by John
Wood the Younger. Fine limestone ashlar, roof not visible, in copper. A near
symmetrical composition with centre 3 bays slightly stepped forward, rusticated
ground floor and balustraded parapet. Three storeys and basement, 1:3:1
windows, sashes with glazing bars except in bays one and two at ground and first
floors. At ground floor the heads have heavy triple rusticated keystones, at
first floor they are set to continuous podium below cills, and with balusters
below central 3; moulded architraves have straight cornice, segmental, pointed,
segmental pediments, and straight cornice respectively; second floor are square,
with moulded architraves. Central pair of C20 glazed doors in bold Gibbs
surround plus cornice; in far right set-back bay a second pair of doors. In
basement area, left, a segmental-headed door; a complex arrangement of steps and
railings gives access to left of main entry. Although thought to have been
built free-standing, the front is not quite symmetrical, the right recessed bay
being noticeably narrower than that to left. Broad chimney stacks are built in
as part of the balustrade return to the left. Interior a very rich ensemble,
including some fine rococo plaster decoration by William Stocking of Bristol to
the staircase, which has close set balusters, alternatively plain, fluted, or
tight spiral twisted, and swept handrail; entrance hall fully panelled, many
good panelled doors.
(country Life, July 16, 1953).
Listing NGR: SO8663409728
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings