This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9892 / 50°59'21"N
Longitude: -3.886 / 3°53'9"W
OS Eastings: 267728
OS Northings: 122786
OS Grid: SS677227
Mapcode National: GBR KZ.KTM6
Mapcode Global: FRA 26RH.FXB
Entry Name: Mill Approximately 20 Metres North West of Cawsey's Meethe Farmhouse
Listing Date: 25 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152982
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97309
Location: King's Nympton, North Devon, Devon, EX36
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: King's Nympton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kingsnympton St James the Apostle
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 62 SE
1/132 Mill approximately 20 metres north-
west of Cawsey's Meethe Farmhouse
Water mill. Probably late C18 (1796 carved on beam) remodelled and extended in early
to mid C19. Unrendered stone rubble. Slate roof with gable ends.
The mill consists of 2 undershot water wheels, one each side of the leat, the lofted
mill building itself straddling the leat with storage/granary facilities of single
cell plan to each side. The original core appears to consist of the left-hand side
section, the mill having been extended over the leat and on the right side in the
C19. The stone floor, with provision for one set of stones, is situated over the
right-hand section, with loft floor over left side.
Exterior: largely obscured by ivy, there appears to be 2 shuttered windows on each
floor and plank door at right end. Cambered arched lintel to leat entrance. Loft
door over plank door at left gable end.
Interior: 2 undershot wheels, the earlier, possibly late C18 wheel situated to left,
all timber construction and C19 wheel to right are largely intact, as is the gearing
and sluice arrangement. The millstones have been removed. Hopper arrangement
survives to left-hand section which has IH 1796 carved on cross ceiling beam.
Listing NGR: SS6772822786
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings