This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6448 / 51°38'41"N
Longitude: -2.2013 / 2°12'4"W
OS Eastings: 386165
OS Northings: 194015
OS Grid: ST861940
Mapcode National: GBR 1NR.VNZ
Mapcode Global: VH95B.SXLH
Plus Code: 9C3VJQVX+WF
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 6 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153025
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130347
Location: Beverston, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8
Civil Parish: Beverston
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Beverston St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 89 SE
Church of St. Mary
Small Anglican church. Norman foundation, probably on Saxon site, extended c.1225 and in 1361 by Thomas Lord Berkeley; restored mid C19 probably by Lewis Vulliamy and again in late C19. Random coursed rubble stone with roughcast faced tower, stone slate roof with coped east verges with saddlestone and cross finials. West tower, nave with north chapel and south aisle and porch, chancel. Tower of 2 stages with Perpendicular upper stage above string course just below belfry level, embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles, 2-light belfry louvres to top stage on each face, pointed arch doorway with hoodmould on south side with pre-Conquest sculpture of figure of Christ above. South aisle, added probably in C13, has parapet wall and two large C19 Perpendicular 4-light windows flanking projecting gabled porch with sundial below trefoil saddlestone and elaborate cross finial, and with Norman inner doorway with hoodmould carved with inverted crockets and jamb shafts with crocket capitals. Chancel of C14 has two Decorated 2-light on south side flanking ogee-headed priest's door with hoodmould, 3-light east window, and small Norman and Early English lancets on north side. Berkeley Chapel on north side also of C14.
Interior: 3-bay nave with pointed arcade on south side with cylindrical piers with trumpet scallop capitals and waterholding bases, and complex roof design by Vulliamy. Entrance to rood stair and upper archway remain behind Tudor carved stone pulpit; chancel screen is largely original C15 timber, restored in C19. Unusual squint passage from north chapel into chancel of 3 bays with moulded ridge beam and arched principals and carved ridge bosses. C13 tomb recess in lower section of south aisle wall containing medieval octagonal font previously ornamented but altered by Vulliamy. Several late C17/early C18 stone wall monuments on west wall and large monument to William Tugwell 1763 in south aisle.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings