This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4523 / 51°27'8"N
Longitude: -0.9759 / 0°58'33"W
OS Eastings: 471254
OS Northings: 173092
OS Grid: SU712730
Mapcode National: GBR QKG.WT
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.1RFH
Entry Name: Vachel Almhouses
Listing Date: 14 December 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154678
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38804
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Nos 1 to 32 (consec)
SU 7173 SW 2/420
Founded by Sir Thomas Vachel in 1634 and then moved to this site. See plaques.
Rebuilt 1864-67, architect William Henry Woodman. 2 storey cottages in 2 reflecting
rows, stepped down to Holybrook in groups of 4. Vernacular style. Red brick
with grey brick bands and decoration and with stone dressings. Tiled roofs
with crested ridges; red brick ridge chimneys with grey decoration and cogged
Nos 5 to 16 and 21 to 32 : 5 windows, 2 being canted dormered bays flanking
central entrance and 2 light windows with chamfered mullions. Pointed doorways
with shouldered lintels and tumbled brick in arches, strap hinges.
Nos 1 to 4 and 17 to 20: also 5 bays but in 3 staggered planes. 1st plane
has corbelled 1st floor window to street and a bay to front. 2nd plane now
has tower porch with encorbelled parapet, pointed entrance and trefoil headed
side window. This part formerly (till 1957) had a turret over. 3rd plane
has gabled bay. Low screen wall to street with cast and wrought iron rails
Listing NGR: SU7124373110
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings