This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.6693 / 55°40'9"N
Longitude: -1.8018 / 1°48'6"W
OS Eastings: 412566
OS Northings: 641776
OS Grid: NU125417
Mapcode National: GBR H2VW.QJ
Mapcode Global: WHC05.9R8P
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 22 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155369
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237727
Location: Holy Island, Northumberland, TD15
Civil Parish: Holy Island
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Holy Island St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 1241 HOLY ISLAND
12/18 Church of St. Mary
Parish Church. C12 and C13 incorporating earlier masonry. Bellcote C18. Random
rubble nave, chancel dressed stone, bellcote ashlar. Lakeland slate roof. Nave,
aisle, chancel, south porch and north vestry.
West end of nave has large C19 lancet flanked by giant offset buttresses which
join above to form an arch. Above this the C18 bellcote with keyed round-arched
openings and stone pyramid roof. Smaller buttresses to aisles.
4-bay nave with Victorian south porch. Victorian lancets and one large blocked
window. Buttresses between. North side of nave has old vestry to right and 2
windows with Y-tracery. North aisle east window is 3-light.
Chancel south side has blocked priest's door and small low side lancet. 3 lancets
with continuous hoodmoulds. East end has 3 stepped lancets with hoodmoulds,
buttresses between. 2 lancets and low side window on north side.
Gabled roof with flat coping and cross finials. Vane on bellcote. Aisle roofs
low-pitched with parapets.
Interior has C13 south door with continuous chamfer. 4-bay arcades. North
arcade of c.1200 with round piers and capitals. 3 chamfered round arches with
banded pink and white voussoirs; west bay is pointed arch, a C13 extension.
South arcade has hollow-chamfered pointed arches and octagonal piers. Double
chamfered C13 chancel arch. Remains of Saxon chancel arch visible above; also
Saxon masonry. Trefoiled piscina in south aisle. Large medieval grave cover set
in chancel north wall. East window by Mayer of Munich, chancel south window by
Atkinson. Hatchments with arms of Selby, Haggerston and Askew families in chancel.
Victorian oil lamps on brackets in chancel. Large C18 baluster font. Painted
wood memorial to Jane Moffitt 1797 in south aisle.
Listing NGR: NU1256441775
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings