This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4412 / 50°26'28"N
Longitude: -4.6981 / 4°41'53"W
OS Eastings: 208512
OS Northings: 63625
OS Grid: SX085636
Mapcode National: GBR N3.PK25
Mapcode Global: FRA 171W.HJ9
Plus Code: 9C2QC8R2+FQ
Entry Name: Church of St Hydroc
Listing Date: 6 June 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158013
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67554
Location: Lanhydrock, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Lanhydrock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanhydrock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LANHYDROCK LANHYDROCK PARK
SX 06 SE
9/72 Church of St Hydroc
Parish church. Probably early C15, enlarged later C15. Alterations of circa 1621,
by Sir Richard Robartes ; south aisle dated WS WD 1736 (not wholly legible).
Restored and the chancel extended in 1886. Granite ashlar; north wall of north aisle
in granite rubble. Granite dressings. Slate roofs with crested ridge tiles with
raised coped verges and cross finials to the gable ends.
Plan: Nave and chancel in one. The north aisle was added mid-to-late C15. In circa
late C15, the south aisle, south porch and west tower were added. In 1886, a doorway
was inserted in the east end of the north aisle and the chancel was extended beyond
the aisles to each side.
Exterior: The nave is concealed by the aisles. The chancel is on moulded plinth,
with 3-light Perpendicular window with hood mould of C19.
The north aisle has a plinth to north and west, rebuilt with a hollow-chamfered
The south porch is gabled, the plinth continuous with the aisle. The outer doorway
has depressed 4-centred arch with clustered shafts to sides, with ring-moulded
capitals. Recessed spandrels with carved leaves, square hood mould with label stops;
C19 wooden gates. The interior of the porch has granite paved floor and rendered
walls, with granite benches to sides. Late C15 wagon roof with carved wall-plates,
ribs and bosses. 4-centred arched inner doorway, wave and hollow-moulded; studded
door, remade in the C19 with strap hinges and wooden case lock.
West tower in 3 stages on hollow-chamfered plinth with weathered string courses,
embattled parapet with pinnacles and crocketed obelisks ; lancets for stair to north.
West doorway of C19 restoration, with 4-centred arch, moulded, wit hood mould and
relieving arch, double doors. West window is a 3-light C19 Perpendicular window with
hood mould. Third stage has 3-light bell-openings with 4-centred arches and hood
moulds, all cusped lights with Perpendicular tracery.
Interior: Walls plastered except for the arcades. All roofs are ceiled C19 wagon
roofs, with re-used C15 bosses in the nave. Tall 4-centred tower arch with imposts.
4-bay north arcade, with Pevsner A-type piers, with plain capitals and 4-centred
arches. In the north aisle, all windows have nook-shafts with hollow-moulded
capitals, the north window all with a panel of plasterwork with strapwork of C17. 4-
bay south arcade with Pevsner A-type piers, capitals in a different coloured granite
with geometric carving ; 4-centred arches with chamfered mouldings. All south
windows have nook-shafts extending down to floor level ; slender shafts hollow-
chamfered at the sides; same nook-shafts only to cill level in the east window.
Fittings: C19 stone font in nave. C19 wooden benches and pulpit; C19 marble reredos
with piscina and aumbries; brass and wrought iron common rail; all of 1886. C20
stuffed owl in nave. In the north aisle, a fine plaster coat of arms, without
colour, of James I; also a shield of arms, oil on board, of the Hon. Charles Bagenal-
Agar, died 1811.
Monuments in south aisle: Pair of slate tablets, with Latin and English verses,
painted and gilded slate shield of arms and pilasters, to George Carminow, 1599 and
his wife Jane. Marble tablet on slate ground, to Thomas Jane, 1848, Nicholas Cole,
1821 and Mary Cole, 1855. In north aisle, a fine marble monument with inscription
panel, Corinthian columns, broken segmental pediment with shield of arms and skulls,
scrolled supporters, apron with putto and corbels and lion masks, to Lady Essex
Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970. Trinick, M.: Lanhydrock
Listing NGR: SX0851163628
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings