This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4406 / 50°26'26"N
Longitude: -4.697 / 4°41'49"W
OS Eastings: 208590
OS Northings: 63561
OS Grid: SX085635
Mapcode National: GBR N3.PRB1
Mapcode Global: FRA 171W.PXL
Entry Name: Coach House with Attached Screen Walls, Gateway and Retaining Walls Attached to South East of Lanhydrock House
Listing Date: 15 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143089
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67549
Location: Lanhydrock, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Lanhydrock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanhydrock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LANHYDROCK LANHYDROCK PARK
SX 06 SE
9/67 Coach house with attached screen
- walls, gateway and retaining walls
attached to south east of
Coach house, with attached screen walls and retaining walls to the service yard. The
coach house was built in 1857, designed in the office of George Gilbert Scott, for
Thomas James Agar ; the screen walls with gateways and the retaining walls to the
service yard were probably added in 1882 after the fire at Lanhydrock House, probably
built by Richard Coad.
The coach house is in granite ashlar ; slate roof with ridge tiles and gable ends,
which have raised coped verges with scrolled kneelers. The screen walls are in
granite ashlar. The retaining walls are in stone rubble with granite dressings.
Plan: The coach house is a rectangular building, symmetrical, with 2 carriage
entrances facing the service yard and with a loft over ; canted bay to rear. The
screen wall is between the coach house and Lanhydrock House, with 2 gateways, the
wall forming an L-plan with a gateway in each range. On the other side of the coach
house is a further wall with gateway into the service yard, ad the retaining walls
are attached to this, enclosing the service yard along the south and west sides.
The coach house is a symmetrical 2-storey front ; central pair of carriage entrances
with segmental arches, gable over with scrolled kneelers, loading door and clock. To
each side of the carriage doors, a single door and mullion and transom window. Left
end has chamfered granite mullion and transom window, string course and breather
above. Right end has 2-light chamfered granite window with string course and
breather. At the rear, central canted bay, with mullion and transom window to front,
external stack to the side ; 3 ventilation slits to right and left. Embattled
parapet along the whole of the rear.
Interior: Not inspected.
The screen wall forms a right angle, each range about 6 metres long and about 4
metres high, with embattled parapet and weathered buttresses. Two tall gateways,
each with rounded arch, roll-moulded with hood mould and string course. Both have
large panelled studded doors. Attached to the south end of the coach house is a low
embattled wall, with a gateway with pair of sqaure granite piers with plinth and
cornice, obelisks with ball finials. Pedestrian gateway at the side ; both gateways
with C20 wooden gates.
The retaining walls are tall and battered, in rubble, with granite ashlar embattled
parapet, piers with obelisks with ball finials. The wall is continued around the
rear of Lanhydrock House. At the south west corner, there is a flight of granite
steps with ramped granite coping, leading to the upper garden and the Church of St
Hydroc. Attached to south is a single storey range of outhouses, with lean-to roof,
with double doors and ventilators.
Listing NGR: SX0859063561
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings