This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1914 / 50°11'28"N
Longitude: -5.4072 / 5°24'25"W
OS Eastings: 156899
OS Northings: 37929
OS Grid: SW568379
Mapcode National: GBR FX05.RYQ
Mapcode Global: VH12N.7G84
Entry Name: Market Place
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160282
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70238
Location: Hayle, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Hayle
Built-Up Area: Hayle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Phillack
Church of England Diocese: Truro
HAYLE MARKET STREET, Hayle
11/177 Nos 9 and 10 (Market Place)
2 houses, originally the office of the Cornish Copper Company. Circa late C18
or early C19. Built for the Cornish Copper Company. Painted rubble and copper slag blocks, some slatehanging. Steep roof: grouted scantle slate roof to one half (No 10), replaced with asbestos slate to other half. Brick chimneys over
the gable ends. Large external chimney breast on left. Cast-iron ogee gutters
at front left.
Plan: Double depth plan with pair of entrance halls left of middle between 2 front rooms ; pair of stair halls behind entrance halls and service rooms at
rear left and right. Later lean-tos at rear right and small C20 addition at
rear left of middle.
Exterior: 3 storeys. Nearly symmetrical 3 window north-east front with 2
doorways left of middle. Old 6-panel door with top panels later glazed to
No 10, C20 door to No 9. Left-hand windows are circa late C19 4-pane sashes, other windows are C20 but in original openings. Rear of No 10 has old sashes including original 16-pane hornless sash to first floor.
Interior: not inspected.
The Cornish Copper Company was a partnership of leading entrepreneurs set up
in 1755, a partnership which went on to span over a century of progress and development of a major part of the present port of Hayle, an area which
became known as the Copperhouse.
Sources: The History of the Cornish Copper Company by W.H. Pascoe ; The
Harveys of Hayle by Edmund Vale.
Listing NGR: SW5689937928
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings