History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Weaver Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Northwich, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2542 / 53°15'15"N

Longitude: -2.5137 / 2°30'49"W

OS Eastings: 365825

OS Northings: 373142

OS Grid: SJ658731

Mapcode National: GBR BZWT.L5

Mapcode Global: WH99C.CG7M

Entry Name: Weaver Hall

Listing Date: 8 July 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161095

English Heritage Legacy ID: 57631

Location: Northwich, Cheshire West and Chester, CW9

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Northwich

Built-Up Area: Northwich

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Davenham St Wilfrid

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Northwich

Listing Text


SJ 67 SE NORTHWICH C.P. LONDON ROAD
(West Side)

5/36 No. 162 (Weaver Hall)

8/7/69

II

Workhouse, later old people's hospital, now Salt Museum and County
Council Museums' Service headquarters, 1837, by George Latham, altered.
Flemish bond brown brickwork; grey slate roof. 2 storeys, 13 windows
plus later 2-storey extension left; of the older part the original
building is symmetrical, of 9 windows, with a slightly later wing of 4
windows to right of similar materials and style. Slightly projecting
2-storey 3 window porch with broken pediment and projecting datestone
on gable: AD 1837; square clock turret above with pyramidal roof
carrying weather vane. Painted stone plinth; upper storey cill band;
small-pane wood cross-casements under gauged brick flat arches;
4-panel door with plain oblong overlight. 3 brick chimneys. Rear
wing, formerly larger, altered. Early C20 Vernacular Revival
extension of dark red brick has cross-gables left and to right of
flat-roofed 1-storey porch; 2 storey canted bay window right; 2-pane
sashes; 3-panel double doors in round-arched opening; gauged brick
flat arches to windows; 6 shaped red brick chimneys.
Interior: C19 portion wholly altered; C20 left wing contains former
Board Room with 3-panel wide double doors, coved ceiling and carved
fireplace.


Listing NGR: SJ6582573142

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.