History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block with Attached Outbuildings, Walls and Gateway at Navigation House

A Grade II Listed Building in Northwich, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2563 / 53°15'22"N

Longitude: -2.5172 / 2°31'1"W

OS Eastings: 365590

OS Northings: 373376

OS Grid: SJ655733

Mapcode National: GBR BZVS.TF

Mapcode Global: WH99C.9FK0

Plus Code: 9C5V7F4M+G4

Entry Name: Stable Block with Attached Outbuildings, Walls and Gateway at Navigation House

Listing Date: 11 November 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1261148

English Heritage Legacy ID: 438313

Location: Northwich, Cheshire West and Chester, CW8

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Northwich

Built-Up Area: Northwich

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Northwich Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Northwich

Listing Text


SJ 67 SE NORTHWICH NAVIGATION ROAD

1635-5/10002 No 29 Stable Block
with attached
outbuildings, walls
and gateway at
Navigation House

GV II


Stable block to Navigation House. Built for Weaver Navigation
trust. 1856. Cheshire common bricks. Slate roof with single stack
on rear wall. Dentilled eaves cornice. 1½ storeys; cart store and
stable with hayloft above. 2 bays. Large off-centre vehicle
entrance with cambered arch and cobbled area leading to large
doorway with plank doors to cart store and smaller doorway with
plank door to stable. Above, a circular pitching hole. To left,
a rectangular stone plaque with chamfered corners, inscribed with
date 1856. To left again, on ground storey, an original glazing
bar casement with cambered arch. Above, an original glazing bar
sliding sash with flat head interrupting cornice. Adjoining E.
gable is an open coal store with ramped wall with sandstone
coping and a wash-house with plank door and glazing bar casement.
Adjoining W. gable is a smaller lean-to. brick walls attached to
stable block run E. to link Navigation House and W. to return S.
and form gateway to yard, with double wooden plank gates and
attached plank doorway. A little altered stable block forming a
rear and complete group with Navigation House and having group
value with former Weaver Navigation Office and Clock Tower, q.v.


Listing NGR: SJ6559073375

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.