This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0898 / 51°5'23"N
Longitude: -4.172 / 4°10'19"W
OS Eastings: 247988
OS Northings: 134517
OS Grid: SS479345
Mapcode National: GBR KL.CLXS
Mapcode Global: FRA 2647.QGQ
Entry Name: Two Adjoining Cattle Shelters 400 Metres North-East of the Great Sluice
Listing Date: 14 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161356
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98294
Location: Braunton, North Devon, Devon, EX33
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Braunton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Braunton St Brannock
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/07/2015
SS 43 SE
2 adjoining cattle shelters 400 metres north-east of The Great Sluice
(Formerly listed as 2 adjoining cattle shelters 40 metres north-east of The Great Sluice)
2 adjoining cattle shelters on field boundary. Circa 1815-20 and circa mid C19, restored 1984. Shale rubble, mid C19 addition has red brick dressings. Plain tile roofs. 1815 shelter to east has monopitch roof with 2 wide openings on east front. Mid C19 shelter to west built at right angles at rear of original shelter. Gable-ended roof and 2-bay open fronts to north and south with square central piers supporting the roof.
These cattle shelters (locally known as linhays) are 2 of many on Braunton Marsh and served as shelters and probably fodder stores for cattle on the marsh. Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the River Taw but from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained after authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the Lords of the Manors of Braunton Gorges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and Saunton and others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose Braunton Marsh which was regularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were reclaimed. John Pascoe was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the engineer. The adjacent Horsey Island to the south east was reclaimed between 1852-1857.
Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where the Great Field immediately north of the marsh is one of only 3 open field systems to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers on the Great Field their holdings are still widely dispersed over the field as they were in the Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers.
Reference : A H Slee Trans. Devonshire Assoc. (1969) Vol.100, pp.101-110.
W G Hoskins and H P R Finberg, Devonshire Studies pp.265-271 and p.332.
Listing NGR: SS4798834517
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings