This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0914 / 51°5'29"N
Longitude: -4.1699 / 4°10'11"W
OS Eastings: 248138
OS Northings: 134694
OS Grid: SS481346
Mapcode National: GBR KL.CFH1
Mapcode Global: FRA 2647.K9L
Entry Name: Cattle Shelter and Fold Yard Walls 630 Metres North East of the Great Sluice
Listing Date: 14 November 1985
Last Amended: 14 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107115
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98293
Location: Braunton, North Devon, Devon, EX33
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Braunton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Braunton St Brannock
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/07/2015
SS 43 SE
Cattle Shelter and Fold Yard walls 630 metres north-east of The Great Sluice
(Formerly listed as Cattle Shelter and Fold Yard walls 62 metres north-east of The Great Sluice)
Cattle shelter and fold yard walls. Circa mid C19. Stone rubble with brick dressings and slate roof with gabled ends. East front has 2 wide openings, one with segmental red brick arch, the other with wooden lintel. Small rectangular fold yard in front with stone rubble walls and gateway on north side with blue engineering brick piers. This cattle shelter (locally known as linhays) is one of many on Braunton Marsh and served as a shelter and probably a fodder store for cattle on the marsh. Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the River Taw, but from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained after authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the Lords of the Manors of Braunton Gorges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and Saunton and others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose Braunton Marsh which was regularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were reclaimed. John Pascoe was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the engineer. The adjacent Horsey Island to the south east was reclaimed between 1852-1857. Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where the Great Field immediately north of the marsh is one of only 3 open field systems to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers on the Great Field their holdings are still widely dispersed over the field as they were in the Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers.
Reference : A H Slee Trans.Devonshire Assoc. (1969) Vol.l00, pp.101-110.
W G Hoskins and H P R Finberg, Devonshire Studies pp.265-271 and p.332.
Listing NGR: SS4813834694
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings