This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0951 / 51°5'42"N
Longitude: -4.1778 / 4°10'39"W
OS Eastings: 247598
OS Northings: 135125
OS Grid: SS475351
Mapcode National: GBR KK.CCGS
Mapcode Global: FRA 2647.86V
Entry Name: Cattle Shelter 950 Metres North North-West of the Great Sluice
Listing Date: 14 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325558
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98291
Location: Braunton, North Devon, Devon, EX33
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Braunton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Braunton St Brannock
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/07/2015
SS 43 NE
Cattle Shelter 950 metres north north-west of The Great Sluice
(Formerly listed as Cattle Shelter 95 metres north north-west of The Great Sluice)
Cattle Shelter. Circa 1815-20. Shale rubble with pantile roof with gable ends. 3-bay open front with circular stone rubble piers supporting roof. This cattle shelter (locally known as linhays) is one of many on Braunton Marsh and served as a shelter and possibly fodder store for cattle on the marsh. Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the River Taw, but from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained after authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the Lords of the Manors of Braunton Gorges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and Saunton and others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose Braunton Marsh which was regularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were reclaimed. John Pascoe was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the engineer. The adjacent Horsey Island to the south-east was reclaimed between 1852-1857. Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where the Great Field immediately north of the marsh is one of only 3 open field systems to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers on the Great Field their holdings are still widely dispersed over the field as they were in the Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers.
Reference: A H Slee Trans.Devonshire Assoc. (1969) Vol.100, pp.101-110.
W G Hoskins and H P R Finberg, Devonshire Studies pp.265-271 and p.332.
Listing NGR: SS4759835125
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings