History in Structure

The Old Lighthouse and Adjoining Keepers' Houses

A Grade II Listed Building in Paull, East Riding of Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.7189 / 53°43'8"N

Longitude: -0.2343 / 0°14'3"W

OS Eastings: 516613

OS Northings: 426172

OS Grid: TA166261

Mapcode National: GBR VTTF.2L

Mapcode Global: WHHGY.CSNC

Plus Code: 9C5XPQ98+H7

Entry Name: The Old Lighthouse and Adjoining Keepers' Houses

Listing Date: 21 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161853

English Heritage Legacy ID: 166659

Also known as: Humberside Light
Old Lighthouse at Paull
Old Lighthouse, Paull

ID on this website: 101161853

Location: Paull, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Paull

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Paull St Andrew and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Tagged with: Lighthouse

Find accommodation in


TA 12 NE
(south side)
3/14 The Old Lighthouse and
adjoining Keepers' Houses

Lighthouse, adjoining keeper's house to south and later adjoining keeper's
house to east, now house. Lighthouse of 1836 by Francis Dales for Trinity
House, with later C19 keepers' houses. Stuccoed brick. Welsh slate roofs
to houses. Plan: round lighthouse tower with single-room house to south,
and entrance annexe and 2-room house to east. 3-storey tapered round tower
with 2-storey, single-bay house to right, facing riverbank, and single-
storey, single-bay annexe to 2-storey, 2-bay house to left, alongside Town
End Road. Tower: pairs of recessed 12-pane sliding sashes to ground and
first floors with projecting sills. Recessed plaque at first-floor level

Top floor has plain brackets supporting flagstone balcony with plain
wrought-iron railings, recessed 4-panel door, and wide 24-pane west-facing
window. Plain dome with flat-topped cylindrical ventilator. Adjoining
range to right has plinth, single 16-pane sashes to each floor with sills,
stepped eaves, bracketed wooden gutter, end stack. Straight joint with
range to right (Nos 1-3 Anson Villas) which are not included in the listing.
Range to left: annexe has steps with plain wrought-iron railings to panelled
door with 12-pane casement to right; house has 12-pane ground-floor sashes
in chamfered reveals with projecting moulded sills, half dormers with
unequal 9-pane sashes in similar surrounds beneath coped gables with shaped
kneelers. Moulded exposed rafter ends. Ridged coping to gables with
moulded octagonal finials and shaped kneelers. Central ridge stack of 4
diagonal shafts with stepped cornices and square pots. Interior of tower
has blocked ground-floor door to south range, inserted C19 staircase to
original flagged first floor containing former entrance hatch, hatch to
lantern chamber with wrought-iron balustrade of plain bars and fluted
principals, wrought-iron ribs to dome. One of the series of Humber Estuary
lights which included lighthouses at Spurn Point, Easington parish (qv) and
South Killingholme (qv) on the south bank, where Dales also designed the
South Low Light for Trinity House in 1836. Ceased operation in 1870 when it
was replaced by lights at Thorngumbald Clough (qv) and Salt End, Preston.
D Hague and R Christie, Lighthouses: their architecture, history and
archaeology, 1975, p 217; D Jackson, Lighthouses of England and Wales, 1975,
p l05; Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, p 114.

Listing NGR: TA1661326172

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.