This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7807 / 50°46'50"N
Longitude: -3.0982 / 3°5'53"W
OS Eastings: 322672
OS Northings: 98474
OS Grid: SY226984
Mapcode National: GBR PD.631Y
Mapcode Global: FRA 47D0.W9T
Plus Code: 9C2RQWJ2+7P
Entry Name: Greenfields Farmhouse
Listing Date: 8 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163970
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88809
Location: Widworthy, East Devon, Devon, EX14
Civil Parish: Widworthy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Widworthy St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 29 NW WIDWORTHY
4/137 Greenfields Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Probably mid C16 with major later C16 and C17 improvements, the lower
end was rebuilt circa 1950. Colour-washed local stone and flint rubble with some
cob in the rear wall; stone rubble stacks topped with C20 brick; interlocking tile
roof, formerly thatch.
Plan and development: originally this was a 3-room-and-through-passage plan
farmhouse built down the hillslope and facing south. Uphill at the left (west) end
is the inner room, the present kitchen. The projecting gable-end stack here was
inserted circa 1950. The hall has an axial stack backing onto the site of the
former passage. The downhill (east) end room was rebuilt circa 1950 on the site of
the former passage and service end room.
The roofspace is inaccessible and therefore it is not possible to determine the
early structural history of the house. Nevertheless it is clear that the house
began as some type of open hall house, maybe heated by an open hearth fire. The
stack was probably inserted in the mid or late C16 and there is some evidence that a
passage chamber jettied into the lower end of the hall flush with the front of the
stack. The inner room end was probably floored about the same time. The hall was
floored in the C17. The half beam in the inner room suggests that this room was
once much smaller and enlarged to its present size in the C19. The former small and
unheated inner room was probably a dairy or buttery. House is now 2 storeys.
Exterior: irregular 3-window front of C20 casements mostly without glazing bars.
The roof is gable-ended and steps down from the former hall to the rebuild lower end
section. The former passage front doorway is blocked and now the only doorways are
in the back wall.
Interior: in the inner room/present kitchen the half beam is now a central
crossbeam; it has a plain deep chamfer. The full height crosswall between inner
room is oak large framing and includes a Tudor arch doorway. The hall fireplace is
Beerstone ashlar with oak lintel and chamfered surround; part is now lined with
brick. There is no exposed crossbeam in this room. Although the roofspace is
inaccessible a side-pegged jointed cruck is exposed over the hall.
Listing NGR: SY2267298474
Other nearby listed buildings