This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3263 / 50°19'34"N
Longitude: -3.6013 / 3°36'4"W
OS Eastings: 286114
OS Northings: 48598
OS Grid: SX861485
Mapcode National: GBR QR.LY4S
Mapcode Global: FRA 38B5.JT4
Entry Name: Farwell House and East Farwell
Listing Date: 25 March 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164651
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99947
Location: Stoke Fleming, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Stoke Fleming
Built-Up Area: Stoke Fleming
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Stoke Fleming St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
STOKE FLEMING RECTORY LANE
SX84NE STOKE FLEMING
6/162 Farewell House and East
Rectory, now a private house in 2 occupations. Built in 1834 for the Rev.
A. Farwell, extended later in C19, divided into 2 houses in C20. Stuccoed,
probably stone rubble. Twin-span slate roof with gabled ends and deep
eaves with paired brackets to the soffit; the gable end of the left hand
cross-wing has shaped bargeboards. Rendered axial and gable end stacks with
grouped octagonal shafts.
Plan: Double depth plan; the original house had an almost square plan with
2 principal rooms at the front, a central entrance, or more likely an
entrance on the left side into the large stairhall behind the left hand
room. Later in the C19 the house was extended by the addition of 2 rooms on
the left side, the front room has a canted bay overlooking the front garden
and a room at the back with an axial passage between linking the stair hall
to the new entrance on the left side of the house. In the C20 the house was
subdivided, the two right hand rooms became East Farwell and the remainder
of the house is occupied by Farwell House.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3:3 bay south front. The right hand 3
bay range is the original house. It has a symmetrical front with early C19
sashes, 12 panes on the first floor and large 15-pane sashes on the ground
floor with low sills. Blocked or blind central doorway. To the left a
slightly projecting gable-ended cross-wing with shaped barge boards and a
large 2-storey canted bay with a hipped slate roof, 3 sashes without glazing
bars on the first floor and French casements on the ground floor. The left
hand side of the cross-wing has an asymmetrical arrangement of sashes and
blind windows and a C20 glazed and panellel door with a rectangular
Interior: Only Farwell House was inspected inside. It has a large
stairwell lit by a lantern and a fine early C19 imperial staircase, its
open-string has fretted scroll tread ends and the balustrade has stick
balusters and a moulded mahogany handrail ramped up to turned column newels
and wreathed over the curtail. The hall and front rooms have moulded
plaster ceiling cornices but the chimneypieces have been replaced. Most of
the internal joinery such as panelled doors appears to be intact.
The Rectory was built by the Rev. A. Farwell, who had 71 acres of glebe and
a "well wooded lawn of seven acres" (White's).
Source: White's Directory 1850.
Listing NGR: SX8611448598
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings