This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8009 / 50°48'3"N
Longitude: -3.8145 / 3°48'52"W
OS Eastings: 272227
OS Northings: 101716
OS Grid: SS722017
Mapcode National: GBR L2.YTQG
Mapcode Global: FRA 26WZ.CQQ
Plus Code: 9C2RR52P+95
Entry Name: Godfreys Cottage
Listing Date: 20 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170522
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96539
Location: Bow, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
Civil Parish: Bow
Built-Up Area: Bow
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bow (or Nymet Tracey) with Broad Nymet
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 70 SW
BOW (south side)
House, once part of larger house. C16 core, much rebuilt in early C17, modernised
and enlarged circa 1930. Plastered cob on rubble footings, probably brick
extension; rubble stack with C20 brick top; thatch roof.
Main front block facing north comprises wide through passage containing C20 stairs
and single room to left (east) with rear lateral stack. It is thought to occupy the
through passage and service room of a C16 3-room-and-through-passage plan house with
hall and inner room now divided off as adjoining Tavy Cottage (q.v.). Circa 1930
extension at right angles to rear of passage at right (west) end. 2 storeys.
Irregular 3-window front of circa 1930 large-pane casements with glazing bars.
Circa 1930 door and porch with glazed front and hipped tile roof at right end to
passage. The front is stucco treated to appear like coursed rusticated masonry with
larger quoins on corners and relieving arches over the windows. Roof is gable-ended
to left and continuous with Tavy Cottage (q.v.) to right.
Interior is largely result of C20 modernisations but includes some C17 exposed
features. Large early C17 rubble fireplace with high soffit-chamfered oak lintel.
The flue includes a blocked opening on right side which is thought to have been the
flue from an adjoining smoking chamber which has now been demolished. Roof of main
block of early C17 A-frame trusses with pegged lap-jointed collars with dovetail
Listing NGR: SS7222701716
Other nearby listed buildings