History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Congregational Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Bow, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8001 / 50°48'0"N

Longitude: -3.8149 / 3°48'53"W

OS Eastings: 272201

OS Northings: 101629

OS Grid: SS722016

Mapcode National: GBR L2.YTN4

Mapcode Global: FRA 26WZ.KLN

Entry Name: Congregational Church

Listing Date: 20 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1325647

English Heritage Legacy ID: 96561

Location: Bow, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Bow

Built-Up Area: Bow

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bow (or Nymet Tracey) with Broad Nymet

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bow

Listing Text

BOW STATION ROAD, Bow
SS 70 SW
2/48

- Congregational Church

- II

Congregational Church. Dated 1898. Coursed mudstone blocks with rock-faced granite
quoins, red brick dressings and Portland stone kneelers and coping; slate roof with
crested ridgetiles pierced with small trefoils.
Single cell church on east-west axis with entrance porch on north side and lower and
narrower vestry on east end. Early English Gothic-style. North side has 4 lancet
windows and central gabled porch. Brick chamfered plinth and drip course at window
sill level are interrupted by buttresses between the windows. Windows interrupt a
higher band of decorative brickwork. Windows are arch-headed lancets with brick
surrounds and moulded reveals. All contain panels of small rectangular and diamond
panes of leaded translucent glass, some of it coloured. Porch includes a horizontal
band of decorative brickwork under the gable and above the brick 2-centred outer
arch with moulded surround and hood. Right (west) gable end has brick plinth and
moulded drip course at sill level over a band of decorative brickwork. There are 3
similar horizontal bands above. The lower 2 are interrupted by a the 4 lancet
windows, a series of close-set arch-headed lancets similar to those on north front
in which centre pair are taller than outer pair. Above top band is a circular
oculus. South side in the same style and includes 5 lancets with buttresses
between. All have original translucent leaded glass. 2 granite foundation stones
either side of west side immediately above plinth. Right side laid by Carter Pedler
and left by Robert Pedler and both are dated 1898. Largely original furnishings and
fittings inside, all Gothic in style.


Listing NGR: SS7220101629

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.