This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7181 / 52°43'5"N
Longitude: -2.8699 / 2°52'11"W
OS Eastings: 341335
OS Northings: 313736
OS Grid: SJ413137
Mapcode National: GBR BC.1XST
Mapcode Global: WH8BK.WYK3
Entry Name: Ford Hall
Listing Date: 18 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175899
English Heritage Legacy ID: 258973
Location: Ford, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Ford
Built-Up Area: Ford
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ford
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SJ 4013-4113 FORD C.P. FORD
13/68 Ford Hall
House. Dated 1729, for George Calcott,with c.1800 and late C19
alterations and additions. Painted brick on painted dressed sandstone
plinth; hipped plain tile roof. 2 storeys and attic. South-west
front: chamfered plinth, moulded wooden eaves cornice, central C19
gabled full eaves dormer with wooden finial and 4-pane sash with
bracketed cill, and C19 ridge cresting; brick ridge stacks off-centre
to right and left. 3 bays; segmental-headed late C18 glazing bar
sashes, 16-pane in outer bays; central 6-panelled door (top panels
glazed) with radial fanlight, flush-panelled reveals and soffit, moulded
imposts and chamfered architrave; late C19 brick and timber gabled
porch with glazed upper parts. 3-bay left-hand return front with
2 late C19 gabled eaves dormers and 2 late C19 ground-floor canted bays.
3-bay right-hand return front with 2 late C19 gabled eaves dormers,
datestone above keystone, and 2 late C19 ground-floor canted bays.
Circa 1800 one-storey kitchen wing at rear with dentil brick eaves
cornice, parapeted gable end and integral brick end stack. C20 garage
block adjoining at rear too. There is said to be a c1800 doorcase
at the rear, removed from the front when the late C19 porch was added
(not located at time of survey - July 1985). Interior: early C18
three-flight rectangular-well staircase with closed string, turned
balusters, moulded handrail, and square newel posts; left-hand ground-
floor rear room with late C18 marble chimney-piece consisting of moulded
surround, tall inlaid scrolls supporting frieze with amphora in central
panel, triglyphs and guttae above scrolls, and cornice with egg and
dart enrichment; early C18 six-panelled doors with panelled
reveals and moulded architraves; late C18 or early C19 panelled doors
with panelled reveals and reeded architraves with paterae at corners.
There is said to be one ground-floor room with moulded ceiling beams and
cornice (V.C.H.) but this was not inspected at time of survey (July
1985). It has been suggested (V.C.H.) that the house was formerly
U-shaped and that the south front may have been of 5 bays. There is
known to have been a house on the site in 1665. V.C.H., Vol. VIII,
Listing NGR: SJ4133513736
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings