This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7186 / 52°43'7"N
Longitude: -2.868 / 2°52'4"W
OS Eastings: 341462
OS Northings: 313796
OS Grid: SJ414137
Mapcode National: GBR BC.1YBF
Mapcode Global: WH8BK.XXFP
Plus Code: 9C4VP49J+FQ
Entry Name: 1 and 2 Oak Cottages
Listing Date: 26 November 1976
Last Amended: 18 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366878
English Heritage Legacy ID: 258976
Location: Ford, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Ford
Built-Up Area: Ford
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ford
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
NEW STREET (West side)
Nos. 1 and 2, Oak Cottages
(Formerly listed as 1-2 Oak Cottages)
House, now divided and disused. Probably C15 with C16 addition.
Timber framed of cruck construction with lath and plaster and red
brick infill; plain tile roof. Former open hall of one large and
one small framed bay aligned approximately north-west/south-east
with projecting C16 gabled cross-wing of 2 framed bays to west.
Framing: cross-wing with square panels (3 from sole-plate to wall-
plate) and close studding. One storey and attic with 2-storey
cross-wing. South-west front: central timber-framed gabled eaves
dormer to hall range with pair of 2-light wooden casements; large
brick stack with recessed panel off-centre to left at junction
with cross-wing, and C18 or C19 external brick end stack to front
of cross-wing. Hall range with central 2-light wooden casement,
boarded door off-centre to right, and doorway to right minus door.
Cross-wing to left has parallel diagonal strutting in the gable
end to front and king-post truss with V-struts in gable at rear;
south-west front with 2-light wooden casement off-centre to left
boarded door off-centre to right and probably C18 or C19 large raking
red sandstone rubble buttress to left; rear of hall range has blocked
triangular-headed doorway to left and cruck truss with scotch to its
left. Interior: 2 full cruck trusses; right-hand end truss with
cambered collar and V-struts and former hall truss, with arch-braced
collar and continuous chamfer; chamfered wind braces; central
truss to cross-wing with tie beam cut through; central ground-floor
room has c.1600 ceiling with ogee-stopped chamfered intersecting
beams and joists, and inserted large open fireplace of c.1600 with
chamfered lintel and early C19 surround with bracketed mantelpiece;
small bay to right; chamfered beams with ogee and run-out stops.
Cross-wing has stud partitions, round-arched fireplace in ground-
floor front room and blocked segmental-headed doorway in rear room.
The right-hand range was formerly an open hall of 2 framed bays and
the stack and first floor were inserted probably in the late C16 or
early C17. V.C.H. Vol. VIII, p. 226; Alcock, p. 143.
Listing NGR: SJ4146213796
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings