This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7942 / 52°47'39"N
Longitude: -2.9904 / 2°59'25"W
OS Eastings: 333314
OS Northings: 322306
OS Grid: SJ333223
Mapcode National: GBR 76.X03F
Mapcode Global: WH8BB.1187
Entry Name: Old House
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1176553
English Heritage Legacy ID: 256590
Location: Knockin, Shropshire, SY10
Civil Parish: Knockin
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Knockin St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 32 SW; 7/42
Farmhouse, now house. Early C17 with later additions and alterations.
Timber framed with painted brick infill and partial rebuilding; C20 planted
timber frame to front gable. Slate roof, graded to rear. L-plan
comprising hall range of 2½ framed bays with 2-bay cross wing projecting to
left. One storey and gable-lit attics. Framing: exposed to front
of hall range and to rear gable of cross-wing; square and rectangular
panels, three from cill to wall-plate. Narrow 2-storey gabled porch to
far right of hall range has jetties to first floor and attic and close
studding to first floor. C19 bargeboards and finials to gables, including
to porch. C20 casements, one on each floor to gable and one in centre
to hall range. Inner C17 plank door to porch and C19 boarded door to
cross-wing in angle with hall range. C19 red brick ridge stack to left
of hall range has two attached shafts with dentilled band and capping.
C19 red brick lean-tos to rear of hall range and to left side of cross
wing, former with tall stack to one corner and latter with dentilled
INTERIOR. Deep-chamfered cross-beam ceiling and chamfered
joists with straight-cut stops to right ground-floor room. Exposed wall
posts to centre. Large stack has partly infilled inglenook fireplace
with stepped stops to chamfered wooden lintel. Front room of cross
wing has boxed-in cross-beam ceiling, spine beam of which, with straight-
cut stop, continues into present hall showing that wall running parallel
with right return of cross-wing is a later partition. Timber frame
to wall between front and back rooms of cross-wing. Staircases in back
right corner of right room and to cross-wing. First floor has wide
boarded oak floor boards. Cross wing has single-purlin roof in 2 bays
with roughly central collar and tie-beam truss. Doorway with shaped
arch cut through tie beam leads to back room. Similar roof to hall
range also has shaped doorway cut through tie beam of first truss from
left. Second truss from left and right end truss removed, leaving tops
of wall posts exposed. Short straight wind braces to surviving trusses.
Infilled segmental-headed bread oven in rear lean-to. Owner (November
1986) suggests that there was formerly a gabled cross wing to right of
hall range in position corresponding to that surviving on left.
Listing NGR: SJ3331422306
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings