This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4542 / 51°27'14"N
Longitude: -0.1669 / 0°10'0"W
OS Eastings: 527460
OS Northings: 174390
OS Grid: TQ274743
Mapcode National: GBR D7.4L7
Mapcode Global: VHGR5.2Q33
Plus Code: 9C3XFR3M+M6
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 7 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207027
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW11
Electoral Ward/Division: Northcote
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Battersea St Michael, Wandsorth Common
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
COBHAM CLOSE SW11
Church of St Michael
TQ 27SE 4/9
1881 by William White. A Gothic-style group of church and school in parallel, faced
in yellow stocks with dressings of stone and red rubbers and characterised by crow-
stepped gables. The roofs are tiled and the ridges and crow-steps have crocket tiles.
The church is of nave and aisles. Its north elevation has 5 Gothic-arch plate-
tracery windows with twin lancets and quatrefoil beneath a dripstone. The upper
margin of the wall is diapered and has a cogged cornice. The laterally placed
Gothic-arch door is recessed within a surround of stepped orders beneath a dripstone.
The coping above supports a stone crow-stepped gable with canopied niche framing a
relief of St Michael.
On the east elevation the polygonal chancel is flanked by the aisle gables, each
pierced by a cusped-tracery window of 4 lancets with roundels above. The north
aisle roof ridge is surmounted by an open timber bellcote with slated broach spire.
Within, the nave has wide aisles under separate gables: the arcades are very light,
with brick arches on pillars of granolith. The apsidal chancel, above an undercroft,
has aisles. The roof principals are of planks bolted together, and plenty of iron
The symmetrical entrance elevation of the 2 storey school is of 7 bays articulated
by lesenes. On the ground floor the moulded Gothic-arch door surround is surmounted
by a gable. The 3 bays left and right have Gothic-arch windows with traceried
glazing bars to the heads beneath dripstones. On the first floor, above a cillband
each of 7 windows has a shallow pointed arch head with traceried glazing bars to
A timber louvre with saddleback roof breaks from the roof ridge.
Listing NGR: TQ2746074390
Other nearby listed buildings