This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7116 / 53°42'41"N
Longitude: -1.9151 / 1°54'54"W
OS Eastings: 405703
OS Northings: 423906
OS Grid: SE057239
Mapcode National: GBR HT2J.67
Mapcode Global: WHB8G.KZ81
Plus Code: 9C5WP36M+JX
Entry Name: The Hollins
Listing Date: 27 October 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184346
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339242
Location: Sowerby Bridge, Calderdale, HX6
Electoral Ward/Division: Sowerby Bridge
Built-Up Area: Halifax
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sowerby Bridge Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17 May 2021 to reformat the text to current standards
SE 0423 and SE 0523
HOLLINS LANE (west side)
Nos 43, 45 and 47 (The Hollins)
House, now three dwellings. Late medieval, of several builds; encased in C17 (possibly 1688); subdivided, altered, added to and possibly re-encased mid C19. Timber frame encased in C19 coursed squared stone; stone slate roof.
Two storey hall, formerly with rear aisle, having wing projecting forward on right and cross-wing projecting to rear on left. South east front: three cells, first one (No 43) with one first floor window; second one (No 45) with three first floor windows and a fourth in a pent two storey porch projecting on right which leads onto dais; third cell (No 47) projecting further forward and with four first floor windows. Doors and windows are C19 with plain stone surrounds, the doorways of Nos 43 and 47 with cornices and No 43's leading into the original cross-passage. Plain gutter brackets. Roof hipped at left end and at left end of No 47. Various C19 stacks.
Interior: at left end of No 45, backing on to cross-passage, is tall fireplace with stop-chamfered moulded surround and moulded cornice with pendants inscribed 'R' '16' 'T'./88. In No 43 the cross-wing is separated from the passage by a partition wall of several courses of stone supporting plank and muntin panelling with close-studded walling above; mortices in the wall plate suggest the hall was floored over before the 1688 fireplace was inserted. The wing was formerly subdivided by a timber cross-wall. On the first floor of No 43 close-studded timber-framing can be seen at various points in the front and back walls. On the right side of the wing, at the back, is a stone wall with a double-chamfered mullion window which looks into the central area of the hall, implying that this was not originally so deep. In this position in the hall, there also seems to have been a gable at one time, indicating varous phases of development. In the roof there are two king-post trusses over the hall (one with A struts) and two over the wing. Mortices in the rafters adjacent to the main stack show the existence of a former cap for a firehood.
RCHM(E) report (31479).
Listing NGR: SE0570323906
Other nearby listed buildings