This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6921 / 53°41'31"N
Longitude: -1.3146 / 1°18'52"W
OS Eastings: 445355
OS Northings: 421962
OS Grid: SE453219
Mapcode National: GBR MT8R.56
Mapcode Global: WHDC6.SG5D
Entry Name: Court House
Listing Date: 29 July 1950
Last Amended: 15 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342662
Location: Wakefield, WF8
Electoral Ward/Division: Pontefract North
Built-Up Area: Pontefract
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Pontefract St Giles with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
PONTEFRACT FRONT STREET
SE 4521 NW
7/23 Court House (formerly
listed as County
29.7.50 Police Offices Session
House, under Corn
Court house, now partly offices. 1807. By Charles Watson. Ashlar, horizontally
rusticated to main front, with Welsh slate roof. Two storeys and 9 bays with
lower two-storey single bay to left. Plinth. Two outer bays to either side
advanced and 3 central bays with full-height Ionic portico columns on deep plinths,
entablature with plain frieze and pediment above with Royal achievement. Central
doorcase had double panelled door below plain overlight in doorcase with consoled
cornice. To either side there are 4 tall sash windows with glazing bars, plus
similar to left-hand bay. Above, 9 similar sashes with projecting sills and
a fixed 9-pane window in partially-blocked opening to left-hand bay. Moulded
stone cornice with blocking course, except to left-hand bay which has plain eaves.
Hipped roofs throughout. Rear elevation has full-height canted bays to either
side and wide 5-bay shallow bow between. Steps to central doorcase with panelled
jambs, consoled cornice, C20 double-panelled door and plain overlight. Tall
sashes with glazing bars to either side and to the canted bays. 11 similar sashes
above with projecting sills. Cornice and blocking course as front. To either
side of central bow are original partly-fluted hopper-heads to downpipes. Interior
completely remodelled c.1960.
Derek Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture (1978), p. 334.
Listing NGR: SE4535521962
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings